Different coffee but same taste - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
canuckcoffeeguy

#11: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

joalepins wrote:I'm flushing until no ''boiling'' water sound can be heard. Then grind, distribute, tamp and pull.
Try flushing another 2 seconds after flash boiling stops. See if you get a different taste. If it's too sour, then back off on the flush.

Edit: I just re-read what you said. I would grind, prep, and tamp before you flush. Get your portafilter ready, then flush and pull.

I think you're brewing too hot, because the HX water recovers somewhat while you're prepping your basket. Meaning the temp will be too high. Which might make all your coffee taste similar.

joalepins (original poster)

#12: Post by joalepins (original poster) »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:: I just re-read what you said. I would grind, prep, and tamp before you flush. Get your portafilter ready, then flush and pull.

I think you're brewing too hot, because the HX water recovers somewhat while you're prepping your basket. Meaning the temp will be too high. Which might make all your coffee taste similar.
Will try on my second coffee later on the day !

canuckcoffeeguy

#13: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to joalepins »

Any updates joalepins? How'd the flush n' go strategy work out?

lwafford

#14: Post by lwafford »

Try using flavors. I don't know if you guys are familiar with adding spices in coffee either. I use cardamom flavoring regularly, and I really like it. If you are anywhere in Canada, try using the Horton Spice Mills store ( http://www.hortonspicemills.com/services.php ). They've got a nice range of aromatic flavors. I think they have mail delivery too.

entropy4money

#15: Post by entropy4money »

No.

I am not a great barista, I started making espresso myself just a few months ago. But I have been drinking espresso my whole life, as I grew up in a espresso drinking culture. Every bean should taste different unless you're getting burnt coffee (roasted more than second crack - aka - french roast, italian, spannish). You need to train your palatte, adding spices to the espresso is a terrible mistake and completely disrupts the original balance and complexity of the beverage, which would shoot you off learning how coffee really tastes. Only add spices once you can truly taste the difference between beans, and want to try a new beverage.

To train your palatte:
- You need to drink espresso, consistent doubles, no machiatto, no cappuccino, no latte. Just straight espresso, don't add sugar or spices.
- Get a good quality SINGLE ORIGIN (no blends) bean, roasted below second crack, the lighter the better. Although I wouldn't go too light because acidity is hard to tame (at least for me).
- Drink this coffee, and nothing else. Be patient, don't confuse your palatte with something different.
- Clean your palatte (with seltzer) always before drinking your espresso.
- Drink it slowly, keep it in your mouth for a while, focus on the flavors. Try to identify its main qualities; sweetness, bitterness, sourness. To understand its sweetness use the tip of your tongue, for sourness use the lateral sides back of your tongue, and for bitterness use the back of your tongue (close to the throat). These three main qualities in coffee balance each other and build the complexity of the espresso. The pleasant fruity flavor people usually describe from good Ethiopian coffee comes from a very nice balance between the sweetness and sourness.
- After you've gone through about 1 lb of coffee beans, go get another bean and do the same thing. You will clearly notice the difference, as your brain will say "what in the hell is this new thing that looks the same as what I used to drink, but tastes different than what I am used to".

Don't rush things, you can play with spices in a future.