What separates commercial and prosumer espresso machines?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TheJavaCup77

#1: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

Right now... i feel kinda sad..

My BES900 is useless in my opinion.. it's made in china and has terrible plastic parts in there.. even the freaking OPV is plastic..

As a barista that works on a Synesso, has a LP Euro and BES900 at home..

I ask of you, what do you think separates commercial machines against prosumer machines??
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

bluesman

#2: Post by bluesman replying to TheJavaCup77 »

The biggest differentiators are probably the design tolerances, the duty cycle at which it's designed to operate, the lifespan (i.e. total use) it's designed and built to survive, and the ease of use in high production settings. Ease of maintenance is also a mark of a machine designed for commercial use, although I've seen some surprisingly vulnerable and/or inaccessible parts and fasteners in some very high end professional gear.

But it ain't what you use, it's how you use it. The best from a BES900 can be much more enjoyable than the output of an inexpertly used VA or Slayer. There's a shop around the corner from my office that "inherited" a beautiful Synesso when the previous tenant skipped and had to leave it. This is a local roaster, no less - and their coffee is on the Starbucks end of the scale. Sure, the best you can get from many prosumer machines may not equal the best from LM, NS, etc. But plastic parts made in China can contribute to some very enjoyable things in life - you just have to plan on replacing them and/or the device in which they came when you'd simply repair or rebuild a true commercial machine.

TheJavaCup77 (original poster)

#3: Post by TheJavaCup77 (original poster) »

Well thanks Bluesman,

Thanks for the comprehensive info.. I'm not really knowledgeable on prosumer equipment..
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

bluesman

#4: Post by bluesman »

TheJavaCup77 wrote: I'm not really knowledgeable on prosumer equipment..
You're very welcome. But despite their prices and placement in the "prosumer" category by vendors (and although there's no true definition of the term), I don't consider Breville machines to be prosumer products. You can take your pick of definitions: WLL defines prosumer as "...[having] similar features to espresso machines that you see being used in cafes and coffee shops", while 1st-Line says it means that a machine has "...some of the components of the home barista and professional models".

To me, the term means products of professional / commercial quality in design, materials, construction and function that are usable by non-professionals and/or in the home environment with acceptable compromise. The fact that we see 2 and 3 group commercial machines at home in "show us your setup" posts makes them neither "prosumer" nor a reasonable choice for most of us. Similarly, the fact that my Oscar is a branded Nuova Simonelli product doesn't make it a professional product even though I've seen several on carts at catered affairs - it has amateur guts.

To me, the GS/3 is a classic prosumer machine - it'll cater a wedding or sit happily on your kitchen counter and feed your own jones with equal ease, and it'll do so for many years with routine care and maintenance. From my limited personal contact with the Linea Mini, it also seems to be of commercial quality in materials and construction. But its elegant simplicity in design and operation and its tiny brew boiler probably make it a weak contender for the catering cart - so it's of commercial quality but probably not a true professional machine.

Your Breville may not be "prosumer", but it's a very nice machine that will make excellent coffee for a long time if you keep it clean and pay attention to detail in its use. If you set up the Synesso where you work, I'm sure you already know all this. Don't be sad about the plastic parts in your Breville - use it well and enjoy it.

TheJavaCup77 (original poster)

#5: Post by TheJavaCup77 (original poster) »

Thanks man... it's pretty good advice..

And yes i will be using that Breville and try to use 100% of its capabilities...

And once it dies (and i know it will :D ) i think that would be time to join the GS/3 / Linea Mini users :twisted:

Plus I am constantly touching the big boy (although the Synesso aint mine, and im never putting a 3 group Hydra in my own home.) it's a fun experience...

I dont know why but it feels reassuring to work with such a thing... a machine thats out of the barista's way and allows the barista to focus on experimenting with coffee's

Heck, when i was being trained,
the guy made me feel dazzled..

He told me that extracting a 30g shot from a double basket isnt precisely a risretto and that categorising a shot is about finding its brew ratio...

Currently a 2:1.5 brew ratio is a risretto for me...

Heck that guy was a genius.. and hopefully i will be a great barista.. but Im always learning and thats the good thing..

I will be learning forever as learning is endless...