HG One funnel mod question

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
thm655321

#1: Post by thm655321 »

I have seen the various mods where a funnel disc is placed on top of the HG One, like this one:

I have the silicone lid from my Hario Skerton that looks to be the perfect size (and the color would seem to match as well) to fit over the HG One's bean loader to prevent any popcorning. The lid looks like this:

I do not want to cut a slit in it, so my question is how do I install it without getting the HG One out of adjustment?

Can any experts help me out?

Thanks.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

You'd have to undo the burr mount if you didn't want to cut it.

I did it in the past. It's more frustrating than useful and found its way to the trashcan in a matter of days. I used a lid from a macadamia nut container that fit perfectly.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

Or just get the current version of the pictured funnel - which does a great job of containing flying bean shards.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

thm655321 (original poster)

#4: Post by thm655321 (original poster) »

Thanks guys. I'll take Tom's advice and ignore the idea. I will investigate the pictured funnel, I just don't like the looks of the HG One as much with it on.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by FotonDrv »

baldheadracing wrote:Or just get the current version of the pictured funnel - which does a great job of containing flying bean shards.
It also makes loading beans into the grinder very easy. You can be 1/2 asleep and carelessly dump a charge of beans into the funnel and they find their way into the grinding chamber.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

thm655321 (original poster)

#6: Post by thm655321 (original poster) »

For the 2014 version of the HG One with the steps, would the loader make it more difficult to lift the assembly to make grind changes?

For the moment I'm getting by with a small metal scoop from WIlliams Sonoma that fits on my scale and feeds the beans easily into the grinder. It's really the popcorning that I was trying to address, although that seems to have lessened now that I have run a few boxes of Minute rice through it.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by FotonDrv »

The 2014 grind adjustment clears the bottom of the funnel, I keep one(2014 adjusting collar) here for testing purposes.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Advertisement
sweaner

#8: Post by sweaner »

I have no idea if this will help anyone, but I use a Pringles lid for this purpose with my Pharos. Try one, and cut away. It is surprising how durable they are. I thought it would last a month, and it is now a couple of years old.
Scott
LMWDP #248