Baratza Forte AP levers are stiff

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mook613

#1: Post by mook613 »

Been using my Forte for a few months now without any trouble. I bought it second hand, but the previous owner had only used it a handful of times (either that or he had just replaced the burrs, as they looked near perfect at the time of sale).

Recently I noticed that it has become somewhat difficult to adjust the micro side grind settings. The macro settings still move without too much force, but the micro seems to be stuck and while it moves downwards (from A towards Z) without too much trouble, trying to bring it back up slowly is difficult.

Any idea if something is wrong?

Is there a way to open it up and see if perhaps something is stuck in there?

Séb

#2: Post by Séb »

I have one since about a year and the micro have always been very difficult to move. It is extremely difficult to just move from the next position, when it move it always go 3-4 steps away at a time! And i usually need both hands to move it! That's the only negative point i have to say about this grinder. Looks like they had a too good solution for the lever on the Vario that where moving too easily :lol:

flamenkito

#3: Post by flamenkito »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone have a suggestion on how to make them less stiff? After a year of use, both macro and micro levers are still ridiculously stiff. I wish they were designed in a way that would lock them into place, but when you push them in, they would unlock and allow you to easily slide them up or down.

HoldTheOnions

#4: Post by HoldTheOnions »

IMO it's hard to understand why they haven't gone back to the drawing board on this one when so many complaints.

Séb

#5: Post by Séb »

It is possible to fix that without replacing any parts but it is not an easy task and it takes a fair armount of time. I have a PDF that explain the procedure. If someone want to try it, send me an email and i will forward you the PDF which explain all the steps. info@lecafecrema.com

dqbrew

#6: Post by dqbrew »

On my Forte the A-Z lever was incredibly difficult to move. Baratza sent me the pdf on how to fix the tight lever arm a few months ago and it has been fantastic and smooth ever since. Mine required lightly sanding off a little bump on one of the metal detents that hold the lever arm in the grind setting. It required removing a number of screws but I found the process very well documented and straight forward.

Séb

#7: Post by Séb replying to dqbrew »

Yes, that is exactly the procedure i was talking above. I just don't see how i can post the pdf link here!

weebit_nutty

#8: Post by weebit_nutty »

Okay, the file is hosted at the following link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9BPPT ... sp=sharing
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

flamenkito

#9: Post by flamenkito »

I contacted Baratza and they mailed me new detents and shorter springs. It was a little scary taking apart my Forte, but after I was finished the levers moved smoothly and easily. Thanks for the help guys.