Portaspresso Rossa PG or HC? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
spressomon

#21: Post by spressomon »

Before purchasing my brass PG a couple years ago I vacillated between the screw version and the PG. I finally opted for the brass PG. I use it mainly when boon docking in my Land Cruiser. Because of the somewhat typical cool ambient temps (especially at our typical elevated altitude) while in camp mode the PG is easier to get tasty, sweet and balanced espresso with ~ FC+ roast levels that have larger target sweet spots and less sensitive/need for higher water temps.

I use a high pressure OBA (On Board Air) system complete with micro filter'd air apart of my Land Cruiser set-up to charge the air cylinder. Or a Silca floor pump gets whatever BAR I want/need without issue too for same.

But for more than a couple espressos the air charging workflow, in addition to the amount of water required for effectively heat soaking all the brass, makes it a bitter-sweet device for me. Its just so time consuming to produce more than a couple espressos/cappuccinos each morning...for this impatient guy anyway :D

Curiously watching the Espresso Forge progress...and thinking about just going full tilt with a Honda 2000 generator and powering my Ponte Vecchio Export to make morning capps/espressos a non-affair for our group each morning/day!
No Espresso = Depresso

baldheadracing
Team HB

#22: Post by baldheadracing »

Off-topic, but the Honda EU2000i generator is just plain awesome. I've had mine for over ten years now. My only regret is that I don't have the version that can be linked with another EU2000.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

beo1329

#23: Post by beo1329 »

spressomon wrote:Before purchasing my brass PG a couple years ago I vacillated between the screw version and the PG. I finally opted for the brass PG. I use it mainly when boon docking in my Land Cruiser. Because of the somewhat typical cool ambient temps (especially at our typical elevated altitude) while in camp mode the PG is easier to get tasty, sweet and balanced espresso with ~ FC+ roast levels that have larger target sweet spots and less sensitive/need for higher water temps.

I use a high pressure OBA (On Board Air) system complete with micro filter'd air apart of my Land Cruiser set-up to charge the air cylinder. Or a Silca floor pump gets whatever BAR I want/need without issue too for same.

But for more than a couple espressos the air charging workflow, in addition to the amount of water required for effectively heat soaking all the brass, makes it a bitter-sweet device for me. Its just so time consuming to produce more than a couple espressos/cappuccinos each morning...for this impatient guy anyway :D

Curiously watching the Espresso Forge progress...and thinking about just going full tilt with a Honda 2000 generator and powering my Ponte Vecchio Export to make morning capps/espressos a non-affair for our group each morning/day!
I am watching the Forge as well, but as of now there is no proper way to preheat device and extract above 90 C....

coffeedom

#24: Post by coffeedom »

I have a Forge as well as a Rossa PG and HC. They are all easy to use and maintain, and all make great espresso. Overall I slightly prefer the PG for ease of use and control, and better temp possibilities. But honestly, the lower temps on the Forge seem to work well. Some shots from the Forge are so good that I scratch my head and wonder how it is possible.

I preheat the device by putting keeping it in a bowl of boiled water (filled to the top of the lip) while I prep the basket. No other preheating necessary. It must be hot enough because I don't get sour shots in general. Maybe lower temps are ok with long preinfusions and medium roasts, but that is just speculation.

Build quality of the Rossa is better and more refined, but they are overall equals are far as the espresso is concerned, IMHO.