La Marzocco GS/3 Home Setup (pics) - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Javierati (original poster)

#11: Post by Javierati (original poster) »

cebseb wrote:Powder coating you mean? For the size of the GS3, it would be between $200 to $400 depending on the company you use. For example, my Mistral cost $400 to powder coat and it has about 3 times the surface area a gs3 has. Just make sure that the whomever you choose to do the job knows that your panels should not be sandblasted to avoid warping.
I just got off the phone with La Marzocco and they sell the body panels (black or white) for about $450; it is a bit more expensive than what you would get quoted for powder coating the original stainless steel. You will not get any down-time if you just got the extra panels...

Mr8ight

#12: Post by Mr8ight »

Just finished pimping my GS3 today.

cebseb

#13: Post by cebseb »

Very nice! I really like the glass panels. I would have done the same to my machine, but the internals aren't as interesting as a gs3's.

YseanY

#14: Post by YseanY »

Does anyone know what is the finishing on the black and white GS/3 from La Marzocco Home? Wonder how well they hold up to wear/tear (scratches easily?). I noticed that the drip tray changed from the matched body color to stainless since the media pics from SCAA 2014. Maybe it was scratching too easily exposing the stainless steal so they opted to keep it stainless steel instead?

Mr8ight

#15: Post by Mr8ight »

cebseb wrote:Very nice! I really like the glass panels. I would have done the same to my machine, but the internals aren't as interesting as a gs3's.

Thanks. I'm happy with the result so far. The glass definitely gives it an edgy look but I also like the wooden panels that give more of a 'warm' look like on your mistral. I may swap the glass for wood at a later stage.

Javierati (original poster)

#16: Post by Javierati (original poster) »

Beautiful! Love the black finish w/ glass panels. The logo on the back looks great as-well.

YseanY wrote:Does anyone know what is the finishing on the black and white GS/3 from La Marzocco Home? Wonder how well they hold up to wear/tear (scratches easily?). I noticed that the drip tray changed from the matched body color to stainless since the media pics from SCAA 2014. Maybe it was scratching too easily exposing the stainless steal so they opted to keep it stainless steel instead?
I have the same question. Does anyone know how long lasting is the color finish on the drip tray (with normal - careful use)?

Mr8ight

#17: Post by Mr8ight »

Javierati wrote:Beautiful! Love the black finish w/ glass panels. The logo on the back looks great as-well.

I have the same question. Does anyone know how long lasting is the color finish on the drip tray (with normal - careful use)?
The guy who did my powder coating did indicate that the cup and drip tray will probably scratch but I have no idea how long it will last (but will soon see). Worst case I'll just get those pieces redone down the track.

cebseb

#18: Post by cebseb »

YseanY wrote:Does anyone know what is the finishing on the black and white GS/3 from La Marzocco Home? Wonder how well they hold up to wear/tear (scratches easily?). I noticed that the drip tray changed from the matched body color to stainless since the media pics from SCAA 2014. Maybe it was scratching too easily exposing the stainless steal so they opted to keep it stainless steel instead?
Even though powder coating is resistant to normal wear and tear like scuffing and scratching, every powder coat company I contacted advised against powder coating the drip tray since the paint is susceptible to failure and chipping when exposed to constant heat and moisture. The old powder coat that was on my machine actually had exposed steel right underneath the groupheads. I thought it looked cool. The paint will get stripped eventually, but when it happens I may or may not get it repaired. We will see.