Issue with new Hottop probes - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
rmongiovi

#11: Post by rmongiovi »

How are the new probes thermally insulated from the wall of the roaster? If the temperature issue is just a matter of calibration it's one thing, but if it's caused by the roaster wall then it would have to influence the responsiveness of the probes.

Any opinions on how quickly they respond?

EvanOz85 (original poster)

#12: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) »

MaKoMo wrote:menu Config >> Phases
So if I change these values to match my temperature readings, will the counter that predicts how long it will take till the end of drying also update? Or is the setting for that somewhere else?

Thanks

MaKoMo

#13: Post by MaKoMo replying to EvanOz85 »

This setting defines end of drying (among others)

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Nunas »

Evan,
On my setup, which is EricS probes to a Mastech meter to a laptop with Artisan, the place to adjust for probe errors is at the meter. I don't think adjusting the phase readings has anything to do with that. But, how do you know your probes are out one from the other? To be sure, Get a pot of water on a good boil, shove your two probes into it and look for 100 C 212 F (at about sea level). In any case, look for them to be the same. Then in your interface or meter, there should be a spot to make any necessary offsets to make them accurate.

Once you've done this, then if you wish to put an offset into Artisan to account for differences between expected 1C and 1C that you actually get, you can do that as another poster described.

At least, I think that's how I'd do it. In fact, I too have small differences and 1C happens at about 186 C instead of the expected 196 C...but I know this and just live with it.

As for phases, if you change the numbers there, all that happens, I think, is the coloured bands on Artisan move to correspond to the new values.

Maurice