Leaking water around portafilter during extraction - Olympia Coffex - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
suprolla (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by suprolla (original poster) »

The two words I didn't want to hear, but somehow could not eliminate - "user Error"

I appreciate your taking to the time to double check this for me Gary. Hope to return the favor someday.
LMWDP #507

Eastsideloco

#22: Post by Eastsideloco »

Wow. Quite the service, Gary. H-B mod squad to the rescue.

Glad you are (or will be soon) up and running again, Roger.

drgary
Team HB

#23: Post by drgary »

I was able to reproduce Roger's problem of some water leaking around the rim of the portafilter when I didn't crank it in as hard. But even in that pull the portafilter didn't turn out. I tightened it mid-pull and the leak stopped. It just takes some time to wear in the new gasket.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

suprolla (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by suprolla (original poster) »

Great big thanks goes to DrGary for helping to sort this out.

Since having him double check the brewhead, I have reinstalled and started really cranking in the portafilter. I no longer get leaks, and am now able to make some great shots with the machine. It is such a stark difference from the Cremina, where I don't need to crank in the portafilter as much.

I have dialed in my shots for the Coffex, and the taste is so different. Nice syrupy glops, but lower volume, and a completely different taste profile, makes for interesting back to back comparos. To me the same coffee tastes brighter.

I must say, both machines are definite keepers at this point.
LMWDP #507

drgary
Team HB

#25: Post by drgary »

I'm glad it's working for you now, Roger.

As you get familiar with your Coffex, I think you'll find it can make very similar shots to the Cremina. I frequently use both machines side by side, and it's just a matter of being familiar with both of them. Try adjusting dose until you get similar flow.

The portafilter will lock in more easily as it seats with the gasket. It's not that different than wearing in a pair of shoes.

The Coffex can more consistently generate high pressure, depending on your Cremina technique, so while the gasket and portafilter are getting a better fit together, please take care that the portafilter doesn't turn out on you. For other readers please don't generalize that Coffex/Maximatic/Livietta portafilters easily turn out of the group. I'm pointing out the difference between a pump and a lever machine. The pump machine ramps up to a maximum pressure, often about 9 bars. The amount of force used with a Cremina shouldn't be intense, no more than 30 lbs. on the lever, often less. Otherwise you'll tend to wear out the top of the group where the lever pin attaches through a roller. At that amount of pressure you'll be getting similar pressure in the brew group, but with a lever pull you may vary the pressure more than with a pump machine, which is uniform, unless you've got a newer pressure profiling machine.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!