Doserless cocktail shaker mod on a VFA Expres, as one does

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
rcousine

#1: Post by rcousine »

So the pictures tell the story, but I have some notes.

After buying a filthy VFA Expres n1664 off eBay, (Spanish-made grinder with 64mm burrs and a 650W motor; it is delightful overkill which I use to feed a Starbucks Barista, or this week, an Aeropress) I cleaned it and decided the doser had to go.

I replaced it with a cocktail shaker because it was cheap and would look nice. If you want to Dremel one, use Dremel's nice reinforced cutting wheels and expect to use up one or two. My technique was crude: cut, test fit, grind, repeat.

There were two holes to mount the doser in the right place, so I bought some threaded J-hooks, extra nuts, and used a LIVESTRONG-type wristband as the elastic. This works well and looks silly, but adds a bit of easily changed color to the machine.

Early result: grounds get funnelled, but the ridged interior causes grounds retention, just as reported by fudge-funnel modders. Polishing is on the list, as is an anti-static wire.

One other mod: I didn't like the look of the burrs so I bought new ones. Md-50s are cited as drop in replacements; I can confirm Kryos also work, but there's at least 0.5 mm of OD difference in the burrs. The old ones were a slip-fit in the carrier; the new ones are not.

(apologies for the unrotated pix; I'm getting lazy here)