Brew pressure problems with 10 year old Expobar Brewtus 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
krautt

#1: Post by krautt »

Hi Folks,

I bought a brewtus 2 almost exactly 10 years ago today. It's been outstanding but has recently been giving us troubles. The symptoms are that it takes 5 minutes to pull a shot, and that it never exceeds 3 or 4 bar. It also just sounds slow and sluggish.

A few days ago I pulled it open and replaced the pump but no changes to symptoms. I put the cover back thinking i'd have to ship it for repair but then thought maybe the solenoid was out. I listed for the click but didn't think i heard it. Today I dug into it again and got the solenoid out and cleaned it and verified it works after putting everything back (tested by identifying the clicking sound it makes/feels when you turn on the machine or throw the lever to brew. I am pretty sure I tested it before and it did not work... i was dumb and should've tested it right before i took it out... oh well.. I *assume* a good click indicates a healthy solenoid.

Since i replaced the pump, I was startled that the safety release valve on the steam tank has started released steam (explosively - but this is to be expected i suppose as that is it's purpose). It now does this in addition to the pump sounding like it is barely receiving any power.

I have used distilled water in it for the entire 10 years. My wife admitted to using tap water twice during a pinch but i wouldn't think calcification would be an issue. sadly, i just learned once it broke that you should de-calcify every three months. I've probably not been good the past 5 years or so with backflushing... probably did that every 2 or 3 months. That said, i really don't see that having anything to do with the machine sounding so underpowered.

The temp regulated nicely at 95 before i replaced the pump. i suspect it would get there now but I don't like that pressure release valve going so highest i've let it get to was 64c after I replaced the pump.

I did notice that air bubbles are coming out of the return valve on the OPV (I think) valve immediately downstream of the pump. Not sure but i thought this has always been the case for 10 years.

i'm at a loss. i'd love to get it fixed personally so i don't have to ship it back to wholelattelove and wait 6 weeks but i'm out of ideas. maybe the whole thing needs an overhaul at this point anyway... I would think a replacement is not needed but we're pretty addicted to it and I'm tempted to just buy a new one and ALSO ship back the old one for repair so that we'd have a spare just in case (this probably sounds pretty sad, but i assume you guys are addicts as well..)

What would you guys do? troubleshooting-wise next? or would you just buy a new one after 10 years?