Huky 500 Drum

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
abhishah

#1: Post by abhishah »

Hi All,

So i am trying to design my own drum for the huky 500.

Would any one have the original dimensions?

Was it 6'' in length and height? cant seem to remember what the original diameter was?

Thanks
Abhi

abhishah (original poster)

#2: Post by abhishah (original poster) »

I have another question i hope someone can answer, its more or less out of curiosity?

How do manufacturers manage to colour the roasters on the outside? For example the Diedrich IR 2.5 comes in blue back and white, how do they manage to get the colour coat done outside the roaster?

Thank you

Advertisement

#3: Post by abhishah (original poster) »

Would also appriciate if someone could point out what this central wheel thing is?

It looks like a central wheel which seems to be the at the end of the rod that passes from the motor through the drum all they way out of the front plate, but what is it called exactly?

Would really appreciate if someone could help me out.

Thank you

ccr

#4: Post by ccr »

abhishah wrote:Would also appriciate if someone could point out what this central wheel thing is?

It looks like a central wheel which seems to be the at the end of the rod that passes from the motor through the drum all they way out of the front plate, but what is it called exactly?

Would really appreciate if someone could help me out.

Thank you
Are you referring to the bearings? the drive shaft couples with the motor on one end, passes through a bearing on the back of the roaster, through the drum-shaft coupling inside the drum, then out through the front bearing, with a washer and screw to hold it all together.

#5: Post by abhishah (original poster) replying to ccr »

Thanks CCR that is precisely the info i was looking for!

Would you happen to know the size of the roasting drum, the dimensions?

Thank you

#6: Post by abhishah (original poster) »

Someone? Please.

#7: Post by abhishah (original poster) replying to abhishah »

Would anyone have images of what inside of the motor box looks like?

Thanks

Advertisement
jalpert

#8: Post by jalpert »

Are you trying to build your own roaster? It's hard to know how to answer your questions because it's unclear what you're trying to do.

I'd also not recommend trying to fab your own metal parts unless you have some experience. Welding stainless steel is very difficult, and the intricacies of the vanes inside the drums made by Mr Li are not going to be easy to duplicate on your own, particularly if you want everything to line up - your fixturing on your welding table needs to be dead on to get the central shaft to line up coaxially with the outer drum.

This is a case where paying $1200 to Mr Li is probably worth it vs. trying to do this yourself.

Also, the way they get a color on the outside of a roaster is called powder coating, which is an electrostatic painting process.