Nuova Simonelli Oscar with brew pressure problems - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ricky analog (original poster)

#11: Post by ricky analog (original poster) »

yeah, my grinder is a baratza encore. If I go one notch finer, I choke the machine, even with much less grinds (as little as 17g). And if I go one notch coarser, the shot pulls much too fast. I have been wanting to get a new grinder for quite some time so that I can make smaller adjustments. But I don't think that is the answer to fixing this problem. I can post vid of pulling actual shots if people think that will help.

drgary
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary »

Actually that may be the answer to fixing the problem. If you could adjust it in between you would get syrupy shots with a slower flow rate, not to mention a better burr set for flavor separation. Do you have a friend who can loan you something more adjustable to try out? Added: Or, with your current grind, grind the coffee at the setting the chokes your machine at 20 gm. Try dosing 18.5 gm. If it still chokes, take it down by increments of 1.5 gm until you get the flow rate you want. See if the espresso is more to your liking.

A few years ago I had an Isomac Amica E61 single boiler machine that I just couldn't get to work right until the magic day I got the dose and grind right on a Super Jolly. Suddenly I was pulling shots comparable to fine cafes.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

sikijou

#13: Post by sikijou »

Hi scott this is my oscar water flow footage
I too agree with gary to play with doses and try to apply wdt distribution after that.
I found that if i use wdt i get more consistent even extraction (no dead spot) per shot compare to when im not apply wdt.
Also beside the 3 way try look at the CO10 valve maybe the retaining valve has worn out

ricky analog (original poster)

#14: Post by ricky analog (original poster) »

sorry, but what is "wdt"?

sikijou

#15: Post by sikijou replying to ricky analog »

Improve your Espresso with Weiss Distribution Technique

but this is not mandatory, is just sometimes a doserless can create a clump and that clump could create a dead spot that makes an uneven extraction, i just realize this couple weeks ago when i decide to make a naked portafilter.

Reezy

#16: Post by Reezy »

Here is my water flow as well, just for comparison
(sorry I couldnt figure out how to use the youtube tag properly to embed the video like the previous poster)

sikijou

#17: Post by sikijou »

Reezy wrote:Here is my water flow as well, just for comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjNxpJzIeAU

(sorry I couldnt figure out how to use the youtube tag properly to embed the video like the previous poster)
Same as me before i realised that all the embeded videos dont use https. So just delete the "s" and just put http on youtube tag.

Oh and your machine doesnt make weird sound that my machine have when water flow without portafilter. In my machine if i dispense water from group without coffee puk, it make that weird sound (the sound present in my video), but when brewing that sound went away. Maybe its time for me to replace the pump.