New HG-One owner, stuck burrs - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
kofi

#41: Post by kofi »

Post by canuckcoffeeguy » 44 minutes ago
While not data, here's a video of Tino Franzini of Ceado chatting about burr seasoning with WLL. I'm assuming Ceado has done some research and testing into seasoning based on his comments.
https://youtu.be/NwXXO_FZj9I

Interesting comments from Franzini:
*Flat burrs require less seasoning than conicals
*He confirms output(grinding speed per given weight of coffee) changes as burrs are seasoned
*Industrial seasoning decreases burr life by up to 20 per cent
*As such, Ceado doesn't pre-season burrs
*He also says conicals are better for grinding larger beans
Thanks for posting the link.

Ceado probably did some research on the best way to "season" the burrs, but you'll be surprised how many designs are born from an empirical design processes. In the video, he does mention that "seasoning" of the burrs can be done with coffee, rice, corn, etc. or using a mechanical method, like sand-blasting. They also suggest a natural "seasoning" of the burrs, as opposed to a mechanical process. But none of this is hard, scientific data. This is understandable because of the audience the video is intended for.

The HG1 uses Mazzer Robur burrs, as far as I know. Mazzer does not mention seasoning the burrs in their website or in the Robur manual.

I never ran rice through my HG1 and it grinds 16.5 grams of medium/dark beans in 17 turns. This should not be considered a "metric unit" since there are other factors involved on the resistance offered by the beans, but it's an indicator that perhaps just using the grinder to prepare your coffee for a few days does the "seasoning" trick.

This video has some technical insights on how the burrs in a coffee grinder work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6BQFvd7GpM
The video shows the logic behind the shape of conical burrs. If it exists, I would like to see some similar data on the effects of grinding rice on burrs optimized to grind coffee beans.

One should also pose the question: why does the grinder need "seasoning" in the first place? (The Ceado rep didn't give a technical answer to this question). Is it because the manufacturing process leaves rough edges on the burrs and running rice will soften the edges? Is it because regardless of manufacturing accuracy, mechanical parts that come in contact need some kind of "mechanical adaptation"? Can it actually be detrimental to the burrs to grind rice since it is much more rigid and stronger than roasted coffee beans?

SpaceTime

#42: Post by SpaceTime »

Are we going to hear from the OP what the problem / resolution was? 8) That is the only thing missing from this thread...
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

Hagar

#43: Post by Hagar »

I am sure there was nothing wrong with the grinder.

brianl

#44: Post by brianl replying to Hagar »

Ditto. It's a hardline to balance between asking for help from the manufacturer vs the forum, which is much more instant.

The shame, though, is that potential buyers will see this topic when thinking about a purchase. I really do think HG One should stop advocating for wearing in with instant rice though.

Dev

#45: Post by Dev »

I'm planing to order one of these fine units after doing a lot of research and this thread has only strengthened my purchase decision.
I like it when the vendor defends their position when they did nothing wrong rather then apologies for the sake of satisfying the egos.
It tells me that the owners are passionate and confident about what they do.

vesteroid

#46: Post by vesteroid »

I don't come here every week even, but after reading this I do want to add one comment.

I purchased a grinder from them recently and after having it a few months, my lovely son one day decided to grind cocoa nibs in it, which of course totally clogged it. I took it apart and used hot water and a toothbrush to clean the burrs. Reinstalled everything and was experiencing very difficult grinding (turning the crank) Much worse than original.

I contacted them via the contact form (I believe) I did hear back, but it was not quickly. We had to do several back and forths, and I would estimate there were easily 2-3 days between replies and questions. I would also say that the answers sometimes did not match the questions, as if there was a communication gap between us.

I can take responsibility for part of the communication gap, as I know it takes two to tango, but as a customer, my perception of the experience was a C at best.

I finally just worked through the issue on my own, and now the grinder is back to normal, so alls well that ends well. But since we are talking customer service here, I just wanted to add one note saying mine was less than perfect, but was at least acceptable, albeit slow.

I am in no way bashing the company, and they did solve my issue and I did hear back, but the premise being put forth by some is that customer service is A, fast, and B done well (accurate) was not my experience.

TomC
Team HB

#47: Post by TomC »

These varying opinions are valid and should be shared, both good and bad. And they have been for a while now. Time to move on.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/