Mazzer Super Jolly - kg through burrs before replacement?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Espresso_Monkey

#1: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

Hi folks.
Just replaced my burrs.

My question is, how much bean would you put through before you think it's time to replace again?
Any idea what good espresso bars practice?
Thousands of kg?
In other words, what is the expected lifetime of the burrs, based on kg of beans ground?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

According to the Mazzer owner's manual:
When using coffee blends of average hardness, it is advisable to replace the grinding blades approximately every:

600 kg for the Major model
400 kg for the Super Jolly model
300 kg for the Mini model. (approx. 660 pounds)
I don't know the replacement policy of top espresso bars; I recall informed guesses from previous discussions suggesting half the manufacturer's recommendations. How to know grinder burrs are worn out? offers wear indicators like coffee overheating/clumping, having to grind finer and finer, shot volume decreasing before blonding and grind time increasing. Specifically for the Super Jolly, the burrs are very reasonably priced, so there's less motivation to push them to the very end of their useful life.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
oldtrackpants

#3: Post by oldtrackpants »

I just saw this and wanted to make sure I understand this correctly. I don't grind so much coffee, approximately 1kg per 4 weeks or less.

I have a SJ, so this gives me 400 * 4 weeks = 1600 weeks or ~30 years before I need to change burrs. Would you say that this is correct? If yes, then 29 years from now, I think I can just buy a new grinder all together :)

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

Your math and coffee usage match the calculation I recently did :lol:
30 years, seems impossible....i also wondered if that would be possible, think it is with regular use, but I somehow expect other vitals parts to die before the burrs are worn...
LMWDP #483

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Your estimates look correct based on home usage. Keep in mind that your Super Jolly is a commercial grinder designed for use in a cafe. A typical cafe goes through more coffee in a month than most of us would in years.
Dan Kehn

Espresso_Monkey (original poster)

#6: Post by Espresso_Monkey (original poster) »

HB wrote:According to the Mazzer owner's manual:

offers wear indicators like coffee overheating/clumping, having to grind finer and finer, shot volume decreasing before blonding and grind time increasing. Specifically for the Super Jolly, the burrs are very reasonably priced, so there's less motivation to push them to the very end of their useful life.
Thanks Dan. User manual...great idea...didn't occur to me :oops:

400 kg =1600 x 250 g bags. I'm also at about 1 bag per week, i.e. 30 years before replacement.

Having said that, my espresso is definitely more nuanced after replacement. So I'm with Dan, for the cost I think 5 years is reasonable.