New palate not quite getting blends

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Tomtg

#1: Post by Tomtg »

So I don't do true espresso and use a moka pot or a pour over(Kalita 185). (sometimes a press pot although much less often)

But I have to say as I explore better coffee I am tending to not really groove on blends. Whether "espresso" blends that I use in my moka pot or other blends for the pour over.

Even blends from roasters I really like such as George Howell, CQ Roasters, Barismo, Barringon, Dean's Beans etc. don't knock me out as much as their Single Origins Coffees (Moka pot or pour over)

What should I be tasting in a blend that I am missing? Should I grind finer or something for a blend?

Or maybe I am just not a blend guy?

So what should I be looking for in a blend?

Thanks!

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Do you like chamber music more than symphonies?

You can think of all the flavors in coffee like a music score. A single origin will have relatively few flavors; whereas blends will frequently "fill in" with lots more background flavors (the taste equivalent of the cotton wool string section in muzak).
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
aecletec

#3: Post by aecletec »

I generally prefer the clear tastes of a single origin also. A blend is fine but I feel they are often relatively a bit "muddled".

Tomtg (original poster)

#4: Post by Tomtg (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:Do you like chamber music more than symphonies?

You can think of all the flavors in coffee like a music score. A single origin will have relatively few flavors; whereas blends will frequently "fill in" with lots more background flavors (the taste equivalent of the cotton wool string section in muzak).
Actually i do generally prefer string quartets to symphonies! :D

I will keep exploring blends as I don't want to be closed minded about it but I do like enjoying the focused flavor of the single origin.

Tomtg (original poster)

#5: Post by Tomtg (original poster) »

aecletec wrote:I generally prefer the clear tastes of a single origin also. A blend is fine but I feel they are often relatively a bit "muddled".
Muddled is a good word to describe how I have been feeling about the blends I have been tasting.

Eastsideloco

#6: Post by Eastsideloco »

another_jim wrote:Do you like chamber music more than symphonies?
Yes. My tendencies lean toward "less is more." And that seems to hold for many musical genres and for coffees (SOs vs. blends).

Having said that, I have found that blending SOs at home is handy when I'm not really loving a coffee on its own. In other words, blending seems to be a great way to mask deficiencies in an individual coffee.

Anecdotally, it also seems like blending is more relevant to espresso than brewing, just because the former is so much more concentrated in the cup. Most third wave coffees routinely serve SO espresso as well as espresso blends. I don't recall ever seeing a multi-origin blend offered at a made-to-order brew bar.

IMAWriter

#7: Post by IMAWriter »

Seems also that (for me) my enjoyment of a SO for ESPRESSO is more dependent on roast degree than a blend. When I purchase or roast a SO and it's to my preference for that coffee, all's right with the world. Blends, due to that "more is more" thing blends do are generally less a problem for me if they're a bit darker, or lighter than I usually prefer.
Funny, the Strega was supposed to take care of this due to it's nature and methodology.

I guess what I'm TRYING to say is, for ME there is a smaller margin for "error" as regards SOs for espresso.

Advertisement
jyounk

#8: Post by jyounk »

Blends have their place in the industry. They are needed for consumers who want consistent taste experiences. Most blends are balanced, which many believe to be boring or uninteresting. Single origin have more pronounced individual flavors which many people who are focused on flavor really enjoy. Blends aren't necessary bad just serve a purpose.