Caravel to gut or not to gut, that is the question

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ripvanmd

#1: Post by ripvanmd »

An Italian care package just arrived at my door containing a Caravel that has seemingly been stowed in an attic familiar with birds. In any case, the paint is bubbling in spots and I started to tear it down....and then took the bottom off. Though I suppose that I feel comfortable with the contactor and power supply cord I'm not sure how comfortable I am disassembling the thermostat assembly (along the back wall). Is it easier than I think to remove this? If not am I doing the Caravel a disservice by stripping, priming and spraying rather than a powder coat?

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

It's not terribly hard, theres a lot of information on the forums about how to do it as well. Give it a shot. Caravels look best when they shine.
LMWDP #366

ripvanmd (original poster)

#3: Post by ripvanmd (original poster) »

So, I'm about 1/3 of the way through the mega thread. Nothing on removal. I see multiple references in the mega thread to seeming dead and gone OE webpages/articles. Does the rear thermostat assembly come out as one piece? Also, how does one pop the front light out? Sorry for being repetitive, but too many kids under the age of three at home precludes rapidly assimilation of the mega thread.

spiffy

#4: Post by spiffy »

Without knowing which version you have, I'll briefly describe the process (from memory) for disassembling my version 1 (with the mechanical thermostat) - hope it'll be of some use to you:

- the knobs are held in place with metal pins. I dislodged it by placing a pointy object at one end and hitting it gently with a hammer. Once enough of the pin sticks out, I pulled them off with pliers.

- I think there's one slot screw that you unscrew from the back to remove the thermostat assembly. I think mine came out in 2-3 pieces, and is a fairly straightforward process once you have the knobs off

- Stripping the paint was tricky because of the complex curves. Paint stripper was super messy and it was impossible to get into some of the tighter spots. I eventually went to a DIY sandblasting place (technically media blasting with garnet), which imo is really the only way to strip this. I've tried sanding, heat guns, and paint stripper and none of those worked nearly as well and sandblasting.

- Because the body is aluminum, it conducts heat from the heating element very well, so you'll want to use something that's rated for higher temperatures (ie engine enamel).

ripvanmd (original poster)

#5: Post by ripvanmd (original poster) »

Excellent. Thanks for the response. I believe that I have the 2nd iteration with the white knob on the back. I will take a look and see. I really do appreciate the advice. I plan on having it powder coated after sand blasting for durability's sake.

spiffy

#6: Post by spiffy »

Glad to help! When sandblasting, see if they're able to mask off that little bit of shiny stainless that sticks out on top and is riveted to the case. It didn't occur to me to do that and now that piece has a dull matte finish and there's likely no way for me to restore the shine.