Bezzera Strega piston seal replacement - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
erics
Supporter ★

#21: Post by erics »

I've written them asking about what they recommend....
That could be both an interesting and informative response as I'm guessing that the grouphead is an outsourced part.

Original Strega's were excessively loaded with lubricant such that the dispersion screen itself was coated on the underside. Get a box of Q-tips and clean the innards of the seals. Apply a "match heads" worth of Dow 111 to each of the seals and you should be in great shape.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

doublehelix

#22: Post by doublehelix »

Neat! Sounds like good advice....curious to know if Bezzera, or the grouphead supplier, is using a synthetic grease, or a petroleum based grease.

After college, a million years ago, I worked for Exxon in the Paramins/lubes division. High performance greases, oils, fluids, etc. are really complex beasts! I can only imagine the drama involved in making food-safe greases.....

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by JohnB. »

I don't know about Bezzera but Bosco uses the Loxeal silicone grease n°4 & I also see it offered on the Londinium site. When I installed new silicone piston seals in my Sorrento I used the Dow 111 silicone lube. After 10 months of regular use it's still quiet, water tight & functioning smoothly.
LMWDP 267

doublehelix

#24: Post by doublehelix »

Just in from Bezzera:

"About the group maintenance interval , it depend from the use of the machines, but in any case, when you can feel rubber noise inside the group chamber, or when the lever movement it's not fluid , it's better lubricate .
For home use , we talk about some years , after that , it's better to change also the piston gaskets.

Very important , The lubrication of the piston (the lubrication of gaskets of the piston) must to be execute by a qualified technician using food grade siliconic base grease .
Best regards

Andrea Ferrari

G.BEZZERA Macchine per caffè espresso - Technical Dept.
Via L.Bezzera,1
20088 Rosate
(MILANO)
Italy
Tel. +39 02 90848102 ext.188
Fax +3902 90870287
e-mail: lab@bezzera.it
Web: http://www.bezzera.i"

Yep-- sounds like the Dow 111 product, or Loxeal is the way to lube the piston.....like what most here have been doing all along. And years on the piston gaskets for home use....