LIDO 3 binding under certain grind settings? - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
OldNuc

#41: Post by OldNuc »

Yes, it rubs below the cutting surfaces and is nothing more than manufacturing tolerances. If it turns then it will work. Coffee oils and the normal force of grinding will gently force it into alignment if the lower hopper screws are not eye-bugging out tight.

dsc

#42: Post by dsc »

OldNuc wrote:Coffee oils and the normal force of grinding will gently force it into alignment [cut]
Likewise it will push it out of alignment unless you have a full hopper of beans. The less beans above the burrs the less even the bean spread and the more uneven the grind is.

Regards,
T.

kofi

#43: Post by kofi »

I've got the Lido 3 for about a week now and mine rubs in the espresso settings as well. I have read most of the comments in these forums and I it seems that it is designed so that the main shaft aligns itself once coffee beans are being processed through the grinder. For a design like this, where there is not a large support area for the burrs, this makes a lot of sense. Any angle deviation of the main axis at the top of the grinder will translate into a few millimeters off at the burrs.

In a design with larger burrs, like the Pharos and the HG-One, a shaft that is not 100% rigidly aligned would be a problem. In a narrow design with smaller burrs, like the Lido 3, having the coffee slightly align the burrs actually solves a problem.

In the end the truth is in the cup. I find the grinds from the Lido 3 extremely consistent and producing very clean taste in the cup. I am dialing in the Lido 3 to match the brewing time of the HG-One and then invite some friends over for a blind testing session. I think the Lido 3 is that good.

OldNuc

#44: Post by OldNuc »

The L-2 and L-3 function best when all the alignment tolerances are tweaked so that the lower ring displacement in any direction results in identical burr rub with no beans.

MilesSpathelf (original poster)

#45: Post by MilesSpathelf (original poster) »

Is OrphanEspresso MIA or back in Taiwan? I've been waiting for a response about the binding and was told they would send out a new shaft but I wanted to send the grinder back in, in case I messed something up during the alignment procedure as shown in their youtube video for the LIDO 2....and I haven't heard back since May 16th. I hope everything is ok

darokz

#46: Post by darokz »

Their video is a hit useless, the matter is "what is the pressure on each screw " if one screw is more tight than another screw the upper ring won't be in the alignment

#47: Post by MilesSpathelf (original poster) »

I just use an in/lb little torque screwdriver that I have....seems to work pretty well...

dominico
Team HB

#48: Post by dominico »

I initially posted this under the first impressions thread, but I suppose it really belongs here...

Lido 3 Burr Rub Reduction Tips:
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

#49: Post by MilesSpathelf (original poster) »

Yes thank you....but my grinder still "binds" at certain settings. This isn't a burr rub issue :(