Lower pressure with bottomless portafilter?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Gig103

#1: Post by Gig103 »

According to my QM, with the spouted portafilter I see 9 bar at the group, but with the bottomless only 8.5 bar. I was wondering if it is normal that I'd need to tweak my grind to be finer when using a bottomless? I thought that it should be the same, but maybe the flow is 'too fast' and the spouts are hiding this and restricting the flow?

trumz

#2: Post by trumz »

I don't see it being any different between the two portafilters pressure wise... Even with the pf bottom and fork in place it wouldn't add any resistance to the flow. Too large of a hole.

Advertisement
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by samuellaw178 »

Are you using the exact same basket In both?

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Spouts or no spouts will not make a difference in your brew pressure. Basket, dose, beans, distribution, humidity, barometric pressure will, but there is not resistance to the spouted portafilter vs the bottomless.
Dave Stephens

Gig103 (original poster)

#5: Post by Gig103 (original poster) »

samuellaw178 wrote:Are you using the exact same basket In both?
Yes, same basket and I weigh the doses. I don't see any channeling (why I pulled out the bottomless was to check) but my distribution may still be varying. The only other thing is that I'm not doing back to back shots with the two handles so maybe it's just a dose that would have needed a tweak anyway.