40 pound tamping weight? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
BillRedding

#11: Post by BillRedding »

Swag Master,

Just for the record, baldheadracing posted the tamping video, not me.

Good luck,

-- BR

TheJavaCup77

#12: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

BillRedding wrote:Swag Master,

[csepulv posted while I was working on mine]

There isn't any set-in-stone tamping pressure, but it is true that the # often seen as "ideal" is about 30 lbs. of pressure (not sure where 40 came from). On the other hand, some people barely tamp at all...and that works for them. It seems the MAIN thing is to be consistent with your tamp, however you do it.

But if you want to get the same pressure of tamp every time, you could get one of those "calibrated tampers" which are set to 30 lbs...but they're a bit pricey, like the Espro Calibrated Tamper (about $99). There are other calibrated tampers by other manufacturers. I saw one that had numbers around the disk that lit up as you applied various lbs. of force (forget the brand).

But like I said, there is no exact #, so try different tamp pressures for yourself, and/or look for info on how the better Baristas tamp (perhaps some YouTube video clips).

Whatever, I wouldn't get hung-up on a specific #...

Good luck,

-- BR
I think you mean the MG Smart Tamp..

Saw one of those in action but thought it was useless and pricy..
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

BillRedding

#13: Post by BillRedding »

TheJavaCup77,

Yes, thanks...that's the digital tamper I was trying to recall:

http://mgcoffeetools.com/

"The digital display comes in two unit options, a kilogram screen that displays from 5 to 20 kg in 1 kg increments and a pounds screen that displays from 12 to 42 lbs in 2 lbs increments."

-- BR

Eiern

#14: Post by Eiern »

I saw this "Attento Click-Mat" tamping mat at Bella Barista that will click at a certain pressure, user adjustable. Cheaper than those tampers. Don't know if it's any good tho, haven't tried it.

Nate42

#15: Post by Nate42 »

Practice tamping on a bathroom scale to get a feel for what 40lbs feels like that is the accepted cheap and easy method. Honestly though if your job hasn't given you a way to verify this, how will they ever know? Just tamp firmly and consistently and if someone asks you if you are using 40lbs say "yes"

jonr

#16: Post by jonr »

Why bother tamping with 40 pounds when as soon as the pump starts, it's going to "tamp" with 500 pounds?

boar_d_laze

#17: Post by boar_d_laze »

Your employers measure competence with strange standards.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

aecletec

#18: Post by aecletec »

jonr wrote:Why bother tamping with 40 pounds when as soon as the pump starts, it's going to "tamp" with 500 pounds?
The transparent portafilter clips from LS and Tije don't seem to show any puck compression by the water, so I'm not sure if that argument is useful...? (On pump machines at any rate, the lever puck jump makes it hard to tell.)

Nick Name

#19: Post by Nick Name »

I've lately been under the impression that lighter tamping is preferred nowadays.
Though it still seems to be common knowledge that tamping doesn't affect that much, apart from nutation.

But any cafe focusing on tamping pressure more than towards things that are making more impact on cup quality are surely to be avoided. As a customer or as an employee.

day

#20: Post by day »

Nate42 wrote:Practice tamping on a bathroom scale to get a feel for what 40lbs feels like that is the accepted cheap and easy method. Honestly though if your job hasn't given you a way to verify this, how will they ever know? Just tamp firmly and consistently and if someone asks you if you are using 40lbs say "yes"
If they don't teach you how and provide you with the materials then they simply dont know and are reading a book or manual.

If there was a head barista that wanted to dial in the grind with care and felt that tamping pressure was critical to keep his desired grind setting then he would be working with you to ensure optimal extraction.

He/she isn't, they dont, they wont know, they don't really care
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone