Timed dosing less consistent as coffee ages?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TheJavaCup77

#1: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

Ok... i have been messing around with a timer attached to my grinder... it's not anything like an Auber...

You plug the grinders electrical cord into the timer and the timer into the power outlet...

Anyways... since I'm a fan of single dosing... i like getting precise amounts of grounds into my pf

It seems with timed dosing.. At least for me... is when coffee ages it's less dense so basically it grinds slightly if not way faster...

The amount Im grinding with the timer set 11 seconds seems to be increasing..

And yes... my hopper is full of beans., somehow it makes me wonder if timers actually keep doses consistent... maybe i should stick with single dosing?
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

Spitz.me

#2: Post by Spitz.me »

Yes, as the coffee ages you'll need to change either the coffee dose or the grind setting. The moisture that adds some resistance early on reduces as the coffee ages. Either you increase your dose or you make the grind finer to try to keep the taste results the same. This is why timing isn't consistent if you take the coffee over a long period of time. It's an issue for home baristas that drag a bag of coffee through a period of a week or two.

Some grinders may not even be consistent with their timed dosing intra-day let alone over a span of several days. Monitoring the changes will help you in the long run.

I single dose with my k10 and I'm very happy. I had a k30 with which I timed my doses with a full hopper. I didn't like the retention and inconsistency that this introduced relative to what I had going on with single-dosing my k10.
LMWDP #670

Advertisement
TheJavaCup77 (original poster)

#3: Post by TheJavaCup77 (original poster) »

Thanks it's my first time adding a timer to my grinder ... heck.. single dosing slows me down... although beneficial..
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

i'm using a darkroom timer foe my SJ and also notice that the amount of grounds changes when the coffee ages or humidity varies, although these changes seem small imo.
Larger variations exist between sorts of beans, in orde to grind and appropriate dose for my current (emergency) supply I need something like 13 seconds where the previous supply needed 11 seconds.
Regardless, the changes within a give supply due to aging and humidity are rather small and tend to counter the required increased dose kind of automatically. I'm not yet sure whether coarsening the grind has a noticeabke effect of the amount with a preset time, think that is also small unless a big variation in grind setting is made.

All in all, I only have to make small changes, and the result in the cup is pretty constant even though there may be dose variations that might make me think otherwise from the look of them.(think that the density of the grounds also varies so looks deceive and I have not yet found the courage to objectify that thought, as in 'if it ain't broke...)
LMWDP #483