Prosum Roasters has started to ship their coffees

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
BuckleyT

#1: Post by BuckleyT »

A local Albuquerque roaster, Prosum, not only has a mission to benefit the farm families who supply their coffees, they roast exceptional coffee. In short, they do everything well.

Recently I blogged about a new espresso blend, Mimmo Espresso, formulated by a highly experienced roaster, Cindy, interacting with a highly experienced barista, Giuseppe. Giuseppe exclusively uses a spring lever machine for his business and so the 5 varietal blend worked out between him and Cindy does very well (as in the best) on my spring lever at home.

I have found my Go-to Blend in Albuquerque...

Prosum Roasters is now selling their coffees online.

http://prosumroasters.com/

I have enjoyed their Laid Back espresso blend in the past but I am blown away by, and dedicating my machine to, their Mimmo Espresso blend. Laid Back is available online and they promise me that Mimmo will be available soon. If you do not see it online, just call them. They are nice people and I am certain they will send you whatever you want.

All you lever-heads out there, I sincerely suggest that you give Mimmo a try when it becomes available.

Meanwhile, I am in a quandry because I do not have enough caffeine tolerance to drink all of the Prosum roasts that I enjoy. Cindy roasts a SO Burundi that opens up especially with a siphon brew to make a cup that is both complex and comforting. It starts with some floral notes, faint, not at all sharp or acidic, and then settles into a rich caramelized-sugar body before yielding up a nice chocolate-coffee taste. To me, it is the archetypical cup of coffee - what Jamaican Blue Mountain used to be before it got destroyed by success. As the cup cools, some savory notes crop up here and there.

And then there is the Prosum cold brew. Cindy blends her own roasts especially for cold brew, which she makes in a Toddy. I have had a passing appreciation of cold brew but I was never moved to brew it at home until I tasted the Prosum blend. Cindy describes it as having a sweet-bourbon undertone to it, and I agree completely. This is also available online.

Currently, Prosum roasts on Mondays and Thursdays.

BT

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

I have to say that if what the descriptions of the coffees is right on, I appreciate them having pictures of the roasted coffee for each. Really gives at least a vauge idea of their roast levels.

homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

As a fellow Albuquerquean, I'm glad to see that Buckley posted this. I'm also a fan of Cindy's - is now my favorite local roaster and cafe, and I like her roasts as much as the online coffees that I buy (I'm still learning and exploring, so I tend to purchase most of my coffee from online roasters.)

I hope that Prosum stacks up well against other fine coffees available online, and will be liked by connoisseurs on this forum. That flat rate shipping should be encouraging to someone wanting to give it a try.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

BuckleyT (original poster)

#4: Post by BuckleyT (original poster) »

Today was the second time I saw homeburrero buy a bag of Ethiopian from Prosum, so I tried a taste of Chad's (he behind the counter) siphon treatment of the same and was amazed. Usually I do not appreciate Ethiopian because the 'floral tones' just taste too much to me like an overburden of citric and malic acid notes, but this roast is very well balanced and nicely complex. I continue to be amazed at Cindy's talent with roasting - she makes it easy for me to expand the envelope of appreciation for widely different SO roasts.

In case anyone is wondering, no, I do not have any financial stake in Prosum Roasters; I am just lucky to be living in the same community as a top-tier coffee roaster and, yes, I am acting like a pig in s***.

BT

borisblank

#5: Post by borisblank »

BuckleyT wrote: Prosum Roasters is now selling their coffees online.

http://prosumroasters.com/
BT
I just wanted to thank the OP for this recommendation. I've been enjoying the hell out of their Burundi and Nicaraguan for the last few days, as pour-over and immersion brews. Fantastic, rich, sweet-but-still-sharp, comforting coffees. Thanks.

BuckleyT (original poster)

#6: Post by BuckleyT (original poster) »

You are welcome. Glad you are one of those 'in the know'.
B