Restoring an Expobar DB - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Randy G.

#11: Post by Randy G. »

See if the wife would be interested in THIS.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

forbeskm

#12: Post by forbeskm »

kniki wrote: -I'm concerned about breaking something trying to disconnect the lines into the boiler, for one. I had a helluva time trying to loosen the bottom connections and just stopped. Is there a particular way I need to disconnect it so I can pull the boiler, remove the heating element and descale the bejeezus out of the brass/copper boiler?
-Second, the plastic covers on the wire connections on top crumbled when I pulled them off. Seems like a lot of heat zapped the life out of the plastic. The wires and connections themselves look fine but I''m not sure if it's just a heat-over-time situation, or if it's something I need to be concerned about moving forward.

Would appreciate any and all tips/advice on overhauling this guy!
Rewiring some levers lately I realized there are multiple levels of heat these connectors can take. The package usually will tell you how much they can go to, some are as low as 170 degrees which is not much near a boiler. Look for some higher temp ones if you need the insulation.

Wiring you can get high heat wire as well and is recommended. Ebay, online, and actually my hardware store in boulder had wiring that went to 400 degrees.

I find that fittings like to come apart easier when they are warm. If they will not be damaged I usually hit them with a torch or you can heat the machine up and then unplug and try to take them apart. Tighten just a hair and then loosen is a good trick as well. I am sure others here can add their techniques. Your mileage may vary.

sdoxx

#13: Post by sdoxx »

It is not a question of 2 holes or 4 holes or 40 holes. It is the TOTAL cross sectional area of the holes that counts.
There are several posts about steaming pressure on the Expobar DB, but I found this one helpful in reference to what Eric said above: Steaming power of Expobar Brewtus III vs. HX.

Your story about fixing up the old Expobar is cool! Thanks for sharing. Now I know who to turn to if I ever need to take mine all apart, too. :D

Disclaimer: I own an Expobar DB IV, but only have the stock 1-hole steam tip.
Brett

sdoxx

#14: Post by sdoxx »

I forgot to mention that Jago Cheung (HB name jagobear) has a few videos on Youtube showing different steam tips on the Expobar DB here: https://www.youtube.com/user/jbear9527/videos. In personal communication, he recommended the 3-hole steam tip that he uses if I wanted to steam larger amounts of milk quickly and well. You could potentially ask him directly if you are interested in that one.

I'm a newbie and I drink only small milk drinks, so the 1-hole that came standard is plenty for me at this point!
Brett