Rocket Giotto stops heating without warning

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
keefymonster

#1: Post by keefymonster »

Hi,

I am hoping some one can help me.

My Rocket is misbehaving.

From cold the machine heats up cycles on and off without issue and then without warning the machine trips out.
That is, the green light goes out, the pump stops and heating stops. Basically the machine dies!

My understanding of the insides of the machine is very basic. In fact only slightly better than useless.
I did notice that when the sides are off the machine I could not replicate the issue.
I did some reading on this site and as a result thought that maybe it is the thermal cut out. However, the machine is not over heating.
I have managed to check the voltage across the thermal cut out.
Obviously when the machine is working there is a current across the cut out.
When the machine trips out there is no current to the thermal cut out suggesting what ever is happening is not related to the cut out and is further upstream.

I am really at a loss as to what to do next.

Can you please give me some advise and guidance on how to test for and or resolve this problem.

I really am not looking forward to any time without a decent coffee.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards

Keith

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

You may have a bad switch (on many Giotto's the lamp is wired up directly after the switch.) But more likely yours is wired so that the lamp gets power out of the controller, which makes it more interesting. Check out this thread:
Rocket Giotto Premium Plus won't start - Diagnostic help appreciated
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

keefymonster (original poster)

#3: Post by keefymonster (original poster) »

Thanks homeburrero, I'll trawl through the post for some ideas.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

In addition, post some x-rated pics of your Giotto, particularly in the area of the main power switch.

I just so happen to have a repaired Giotto on the workbench so I could try a few things but the ones I have seen are like Pat has said . . . the green light gets its power directly off the switch.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

keefymonster (original poster)

#5: Post by keefymonster (original poster) »

Hi Erics, homeburrero,

Please excuse my late reply. Busy at work!

I read through the posts you recommended homeburrero and whilst playing with a multimeter managed to make things worse.
In that the machine stopped heating although the green light stayed on no one was home!
In the end I opted for a new controller and all is well.

Thank you both for your kind help.

Regards

Keith