HG-one -- one gram per turn

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
rpavlis

#1: Post by rpavlis »

It has now been 10 months since I got my Hg-one. It initially required about two and a half turns of its handle to grind one gram. After grinding two boxes of "instant" rice it required about one and a half turns to grind that same gram. Since then the grinding efficiency has slowly improved, so that now it consistently requires very close to one gram per turn. (Sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more, mostly depending on the coffee and roast.)

It has the TiN burrs.

weebit_nutty

#2: Post by weebit_nutty replying to rpavlis »

Call me amazed! :) any increase in difficulty?
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

rpavlis (original poster)

#3: Post by rpavlis (original poster) »

The torque to turn the handle does not seem to have changed much at all. It really is amazing how much more faster it grinds now!

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

Seems like 22 turns for 18g is the universal 'dialed in' shot based on my experiences.

weebit_nutty

#5: Post by weebit_nutty »

rpavlis wrote:The torque to turn the handle does not seem to have changed much at all. It really is amazing how much more faster it grinds now!
That's great.. But conventional wisdom tells me that if your burrs are grinding 250% of output as it did previously, it would take 250% of the power, maybe more given the greater surface area exposed to the burrs.

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner »

I have the same experience with the Pharos. Used to be about 45 turns for 20 grams, now about 25 turns, without an increase in effort.
Scott
LMWDP #248

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by FotonDrv »

Interesting. I do know my HG-One seems to be grinding more efficiently with age but I cannot tell you about grinding effort. Motorized...
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

SeanSheep

#8: Post by SeanSheep »

weebit_nutty wrote:That's great.. But conventional wisdom tells me that if your burrs are grinding 250% of output as it did previously, it would take 250% of the power, maybe more given the greater surface area exposed to the burrs.
Maybe people's arms are just getting stronger in the same linear progression as the burrs are getting more broken in! :)

weebit_nutty

#9: Post by weebit_nutty replying to SeanSheep »

ah that would explain it.. it's like my daily driver... The power steering motor had gradually gotten so weak I hadn't even noticed until my mechanic told me. After he fixed it, it felt like a totally different car.