LIDO 3 Reassembly Problem - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
orphanespresso
Sponsor

#11: Post by orphanespresso »

You have not reassembled the grinder correctly...

The OP did not reassemble the grinder correctly either...he did not have the part that sits between the hopper, and the burr carrier installed correctly, and once he did the grinder works fine.

sweaner

#12: Post by sweaner »

I guess this is why I have never had my Lido 2 or Pharos apart. Eliminates these issues for me.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Shenrei

#13: Post by Shenrei »

A complete disassembly and reassembly isn't too bad as long as you remember to mark the orientation of everything, especially the burr carrier and the outer burr. I like to use the Lido logo on the hopper as a point of reference and mark everything to it. Also remember to align and tighten your screws without the plastic washer underneath the inner burr, and have the locking ring set coarse so that when the grinder is placed on a flat surface, the inner-burr falls completely down. Doug mentions this in a previous post, but it's easy to miss if you're just watching the videos.

Doing a complete cleaning is a bit futile though as coffee dust gets back into the top and bottom of the hopper once you grind your very next batch :D

However, if you're getting good cups now and are just mildly curious about alignment, I wouldn't suggest doing a complete disassembly unless your mind is comfortable with a bit of trial and error and learning. The Lido is very robust and it's pretty difficult to do any physical damage to it unless you really try to - it's very hard to break this grinder, but it's quite easy to put together incorrectly.

Also, I wouldn't get too caught up on fines output unless it is drastically obvious. Instead, just brew and taste. Some beans output more fines than others, and during reassembly, your zero point may have changed slightly, so your usual grind setting might not be the same.
- Tim

pngboy

#14: Post by pngboy »

thanks for tips! completely disassembling the grinder and reassembling is a good learning experience. I did that and now it works amazingly!! Just had an awesome cup on my old aeropress that i enjoyed more than my Vario baratza with the metal burrs on a similar setting.

theoleejunming

#15: Post by theoleejunming »

Do anyone have a hard time grinding at mark 7 and above from zero

brianl

#16: Post by brianl »

Shenrei wrote:A complete disassembly and reassembly isn't too bad as long as you remember to mark the orientation of everything, especially the burr carrier and the outer burr. I like to use the Lido logo on the hopper as a point of reference and mark everything to it. Also remember to align and tighten your screws without the plastic washer underneath the inner burr, and have the locking ring set coarse so that when the grinder is placed on a flat surface, the inner-burr falls completely down. Doug mentions this in a previous post, but it's easy to miss if you're just watching the videos.
Just out of curiosity, why would you recommend to align and tighten the screws without the plastic washer underneath the inner burr?

I just did it right now with the plastic washer and my burrs lock up at zero. then one hash and it spins freely (seems to be a good sign of alignment). However, I did notice that my zero point drifted coarser by a hash (as the last time I aligned/removed screws was before I had the plastic washer).
The OP did not reassemble the grinder correctly either...he did not have the part that sits between the hopper, and the burr carrier installed correctly, and once he did the grinder works fine.
Also curious as to what the OP did as I can't imagine one installing that incorrectly. Was the notch in the metal part that attaches to the hopper not in the groove of the burr carrier?

Tomtg

#17: Post by Tomtg »

I have been having a little of the same thing with the Lido 3. Got a Lido 2 earlier this Fall on some great HB recommendations. Loved it so much I decided to buy a Lido 3 for office and travel.

Noticed instantly it just felt tighter and more restricted than the Lido 2. Not as easy to work with. I got around it and got good cups but it was still kind of fussy.

Disassembled today and it got worse then did it again and it is about the same as it was when i first got it.

So i just marked a new zero and have been "eyeballing" L2 and L3 grind to see what setting compares to the Lido 2 so I can be a little more consistent between office/travel and home.

I have gotten great cups from both grinders and not really any bad ones! (except for one gross user error! :) )

But I do have to admit that I enjoy working with the Lido 2 better than the Lido 3. It just feels built better and smoother to adjust. If I had to do it over again I would actually just buy another Lido 2 for travel and office and spring for the folding handle ad on.

I really LOVE the Lido 2!