A Traveling Coffee Brewer

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Buzzie

#1: Post by Buzzie »

Hi, I am traveling to Guatamala this summer and would like opinions on what would be good to take in order to make a good cup of coffee (pour over vs. fp & am concerned about enduring transportation in suitcase). I prefer my coffee hot hot, so I can manage well with about a 6 cup yield. All my coffee equipment was sold before I moved across the country. I now need to buy coffee equipment once again. I have read on several sites that the Guatamalans tend to brew weak coffee to drink and supplement with milk and sugar. :P I don't care to drink "brown water" and I don't add anything to my coffee. If I am going to drink Guatamalan coffee I want to taste it. :)

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

A Lido 3 grinder and an Aeropress is about as good as it gets if you don't mind making one cup at a time. Replacing the Aeropress with something like the Fellowproducts.com coffee brewer, an Espro Press or a Clever coffee dripper takes a bit more space and might be more what you're looking for.

Ira

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

If you like your coffee hot hot, I'd recommend the Bobble Presse (formerly the Impress) which brews coffee in it's own mug and keeps it hot for hours. Paired with a grinder and a hot water source and you're good to go. You could look at the Cafflano too, it's a combo brewer, grinder, and mug. I recommend the Presse and haven't tried the Cafflano.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Buzzie (original poster)

#4: Post by Buzzie (original poster) replying to yakster »

The Cafflano looks interesting. If I am reading it right the Bobble Presse process keeps the brewed coffee "sitting" on the grounds. Wouldn't that make the coffee turn bitter more quickly?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

In reality it doesn't make the coffee bitter, it really works great and I use it all the time at work. There's lots of other user feedback that can be found if you search on Impress, I picked it up as a Kickstarter and have since purchased more.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

[creative nickname]

#6: Post by [creative nickname] »

When I am traveling solo and not planning to brew for groups, I find an Impresse/Bobble and the Knock Hausgrind to be the perfect size. If I am traveling with family or with others who will be stopping by to share coffee with me, I bring a medium or large Espro press and the Lido 2.
LMWDP #435

leon

#7: Post by leon »

I am going to spend a few weeks working in Hawaii soon, and just ordered a Bobble Presse based on glowing recommendations I've seen on this forum. It seems like just about the easiest way to make good coffee when traveling. I'll be pairing it with my Feldgrind. I'm really looking forward to using it!

Now I just need to figure out where I can buy quality beans on Oahu...

Gig103

#8: Post by Gig103 »

Another vote here for the simple Aeropress. I can't imagine ever having a problem transporting it with the hard plastic. If you prefer more of the coffee oils you can even get a metal filter disk for it (I have not done this but wanted to mention it).

tr182md

#9: Post by tr182md »

I took aero press and steel filter to Yellowstone. Very sturdy and good for travel. Brought it to thailand as well. I gave it away there but meaning to replace it. Had a small Japanese grinder that almost fit into aero press making for very compact setup.

DouloScott

#10: Post by DouloScott »

If you're making more than a cup at a time, I would suggest a Lido3 and a large Espro. This allows you to make up to a liter of coffee at a time without any issue and is double wall insulated and uses two mesh filters that remove nearly all of the sludge associated with traditional French press coffee. The Lido3 is a pleasure to use and easily grinds 70g of coffee in a reasonable amount of time. It also comes with a tailored/zippered neoprene sleeve that holds a grinds brush and hex-tool in it's handle. If you have access to hot water this is a great set-up for a group of people.

If you are thinking of an Espro their seconds page http://espro.ca/shop-master/seconds-the-espro-press has all three sizes available with a decent discount and free shipping to US and Canada.