Why the 4-hole 0.9mm steam tip is overkill on the Quickmill Anita

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
FrankieC63

#1: Post by FrankieC63 »

I believe this has been somewhat addressed in other threads, however I figured I would voice my concern and since Chris Nachtrieb has made a video on the new Anita with the 4 hole tip, I will post this thread in contrast to what they've found.

My experiences as the end user for the Qm Anita have led me to believe that the 4 hole tip is overkill with the Anita and machines with similar boiler size. Why I say that is for 2 reasons:

1) The 4-hole tip seems to be best for steaming large quantities of milk. Someone purchasing the Anita probably isn't steaming more than 500mL of milk at any given time, so the 2-hole tip it previously came with would be more than sufficient. Using the 4 hole tip on the smaller amounts of milk requires much adjustment because it's a lot of steam power and if you aren't careful, you end up with large bubbles.

2) The 1400W heating element and the large boiler are quite the setup, but you really lose a lot of steam pressure fast with the 4-hole tip and I think that when the decision was made to go with the 4-hole tip, this was overlooked or swept under the rug.

I can steam for about 40 seconds with the 4-hole tip and then after that, the boiler starts refilling and the heating element is running constantly after the steam valve is opened.

A solution and compromise: Ship these machines with a 2-hole tip attached and include the 4-hole tip, OR ask users which steam tip they will prefer and attach that option.

Now I know why my pressure stat was set at 1.4 BAR instead of the usual lower 1.1-1.2 BAR.

I've ordered 2 hole tip and will be using that from now on, as well as some other stuff from Chris's coffee.

I don't mean to criticize their findings, but I am the end user of this machine and I have to say that the 4-hole tip is kind of overkill both for steaming requirements and for the boiler setup/power capabilities. Anyone can post what they have found, but I've found similar experiences to mine and just would like to say that as someone who bought this machine, I prefer the choice between 2 or 4-hole tips.

FrankieC63 (original poster)

#2: Post by FrankieC63 (original poster) »

UPDATE: I have switched the 4 hole out and now have the 2 hole tip. Much better performance!

MountRoyal

#3: Post by MountRoyal »

I just acquired a 2007 Quickmill Andreja Premium and it came with the old 2-hole steam tip, which has two large holes close together, it didn't make good microfoam on small quantities of milk. So I ordered the 4 hole tip with 0.9mm holes thinking it would fix my problem (advertisements say it makes great micro foam), it was a little better but still not really possible to get nice microfoam on small quantities of milk (about 4-5 ounces), I tried every technique I could think of and was frustrated with the results. Then I bought a NEW Quickmill 2-hole tip, which is not the same as their old 2-hole tip. The new tip has two small holes, about the same size as the 0.9mm holes on the 4 hole tip. These holes are spaced farther apart than on the old 2-hole tip. The new 2-hole tip is perfect (for me), it easily and effortlessly makes great microfoam with small quantities of milk. This is the same tip I've seen standard on new Andrejas and Vetranos. I hope they stick with it!
I suppose if you were steaming large quantities of milk then maybe the 4-hole tip would be interesting but I get the feeling that most home users making your typical cappuccino or latte would much prefer the new 2-hole type.

F1

#4: Post by F1 »

I agree. I bought a set of steam tips for my Rocket Giotto. It included a 2, 3, 4 hole tips. I tried the 4 hole tip for several days using 5,6,8 ounces of milk. The results were always the same. That is big bubbles that would not mix with the liquid underneath. The whirlpool would rotate super fast yet the big bubbles would remain. I also noticed that the steam pressure plumeted really fast with the 4 hole. I dont know what kind if any actual experimentation goes through the development of these steam tips. Maybe the 4 hole steam tip is only needed if frothing a gallon of milk. :)

DeGaulle

#5: Post by DeGaulle »

Typical home use machines seem to do a better frothing job with a 2hole tip in terms of controllability. I tend to stretch the milk fairly long on mine and roll the milk with the tip fully submerged only the last 10 seconds out of 35 or so. On a commercial unit with a 4 hole tip I found the sheer power and the rate at which the milk is heated intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, it does not seem that hard to get a nice microfroth in a much shorter time.
Bert

hobb3

#6: Post by hobb3 »

It is not an overkill for me on my Anita. Perfect for frothing milk for 2 cappuccinos. Takes about 15-20 seconds. Works every time. Just a minority report for future reference :)

MrRob

#7: Post by MrRob »

The 2-hole and 4-hole tips require slightly different techniques. I have a 4-hole on mine, and it is great down to 7-8 ounces of milk. If I was always steaming less than that, I might consider the 2-hole. For now, I'm extremely happy with the 4-hole all around.

A very small pitcher is also equally important when steaming small quantities, as it allows more depth, rather than a tiny shallow pool of milk at the bottom of a large pitcher.