Tamping station recommendations - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BillRedding

#11: Post by BillRedding »

Gig103,

You're welcome...I try to provide at least some useful info when I post. ;-)

I discovered it was a canning funnel in the documentation that came with it. The site's product description makes no mention of this fact, but as the sites DOES say, it does fit a 58mm portafilter basket almost perfectly (did not have a 57mm basket to try) -- so I guess it could also be called a "Barista Funnel."

brianl,

Yes, you are supposed to tap the funnel (since its bottom part is a bit flat) in order to get residual ground coffee into the portafilter basket, but for catching what a hand-grinder is producing, you need something like this (wider) than most of the portafilter funnels available, which are apparently meant for electric grinders (and so are way smaller/narrower).

The OP was grinding onto a mat and then pouring it into the basket...sounds messy to me. This funnel (or something similar) would "delete" that extra unnecessary step AND the mess, but you can do it differently if you want.

As for me and my Mazzer Mini, I'm using the "classic" yogurt container funnel. Works fine.

-- BR

shutter-man

#12: Post by shutter-man »

If I may offer my 2c :
If you are grinding to a container (like vario) and not directly to the basket & if the Portafilter is not "diagonal" and holds the the basket level... than you find that you wish that you had a tamp station that could hold the entire thing correctly - or you that funnel (something like the tamping station of the ECM - though I am not sure about the Metal to Metal and scratching the ch rome)

as said ... 2c advice
Shutter-man

mzedith
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by mzedith »

BillRedding wrote:Locopavoni,

This should work for grinding directly into your portafilter/basket (I have one myself -- solidly-made stainless-steel)):

http://www.thecoffeebrewers.com/bafuwi57mmdi.html

Although it's called a "Barista Funnel" it's actually a Mason-jar "canning" funnel, but it DOES fit a 58mm portafilter basket VERY nicely with only a tiny bit of play (but still very securely).

Of course, having such a large funnel opening it won't fit under most electric grinders very well (or AT ALL for some) but for hand-grinding into it, it should be perfect as it should catch everything -- nice & tidy as you want. :-)

I'll leave the "tamping station" issue to others...

Good luck,

-- BR
That's a cool device !

CrabRangoon

#14: Post by CrabRangoon »

baldheadracing wrote:I have been impressed with Tidaka's products, and use their work flow (albeit with an Elektra, not a la Pavoni).
I'm really digging their oversized funnel that seems to fit atop the basket, rather than fitting inside it. Being able to tamp with the funnel still on would allow you to still have an updosed / overdosed puck without worrying about a mess (an issue for <53mm baskets). Their Tampercube with adjustable height and diameter inserts is pretty awesome looking too, but a little rich for my blood.

As someone else mentioned, Joe Frex makes some good looking / good quality options as well. I'm thinking about one for myself once I finally buy a drawer-stand from them.
LMWDP #505

Locopavoni (original poster)

#15: Post by Locopavoni (original poster) »

BillRedding wrote:Locopavoni,

This should work for grinding directly into your portafilter/basket (I have one myself -- solidly-made stainless-steel)):

http://www.thecoffeebrewers.com/bafuwi57mmdi.html

Although it's called a "Barista Funnel" it's actually a Mason-jar "canning" funnel, but it DOES fit a 58mm portafilter basket VERY nicely with only a tiny bit of play (but still very securely).

Of course, having such a large funnel opening it won't fit under most electric grinders very well (or AT ALL for some) but for hand-grinding into it, it should be perfect as it should catch everything -- nice & tidy as you want. :-)

I'll leave the "tamping station" issue to others...

Good luck,

-- BR
Looks very practical, do you know if a 49mm version is available?
LMWDP #537

BillRedding

#16: Post by BillRedding »

Locopavoni,

No...I just saw this one and not sure who makes it, so I would contact the manufacturer directly to ask if they make any other sizes. Maybe there aren't any, since it's primary function is a "canning funnel" the manufacturer probably just sized it for that purpose (Mason jars I guess), and so it's only coincidental that it happens to fit a 57/58mm portafilter basket also.

However, if you do an online search for "canning funnels" a number of them come up (be sure to search both "web" and "images" -- I use Bing for my search-engine, but Google should be similar), so maybe there IS one close enough to 49mm to work for you. You may have to CALL them to get the exact measurement (diameter) of funnel openings as most online stores give scant info on their products (sadly -- and inexcusably -- most companies don't know much about selling/marketing).

Good luck,

-- BR