Vibiemme Super Bar switchable rotary pump versus ECM Technika Profi lV - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BillRedding

#11: Post by BillRedding »

gophish,

No problem, just clarifying...

Regards,

-- BR

gophish

#12: Post by gophish »

Barb, I've never used a Strega but it was also on my short list of machines. Ultimately, I just didn't/don't have the space for the lever in my current house. From everything I read, it sounds like the Strega will be a great machine and a lot of fun to use.
Versalab

Barb (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Barb (original poster) »

Strega has really attracted me. I am sure I can pull the lever and I think I have a space where the lever wont block cabinets

malling

#14: Post by malling »

Personally I do not get why Bezzerra engineers, have design the Strega with a hx circuit, as these levers where originally designed for a dipper or thermosiphon configuration, this has the effect that you'll need to flush the Strega, prior pulling a shot, something you wouldn't normally need to do.

the Strega is also more complicated to do maintenance job on then a standard E-61 or Lever, reason being it's a combination of a lever and pump machine, in top the lever is electronically heated.

Of cause it's able to deliver great shots, I just don't get why anyone would want screw with what is already a perfect and simplistic design, that is known to deliver great tasting espresso. call me a purist.

Personally having played with both a ECM and Vibiemme, I would definitely go with the ECM, the panels are thicker and does not flex when engaging the PF or vibrate and rattle when pulling a shot, and the handles, portafilter also seem to be of a slightly higher quality, the fit and finish is really comparing apples to oranges. Still Nothing wrong with Vibiemme, there are just machines out there there are build to higher standard.

In all fairness you usually get what you pay for. If I wanted to save some money I would go for Bezzera instead, after all it's the company manufacturing the ECM and Profitec machines.

BillRedding

#15: Post by BillRedding »

malling,

How thick (measurement) are the ECM's panels?

-- BR

malling

#16: Post by malling »

Didn't measure it, and didn't need to as both machines where standing side by side so a inspection of both where all that was needed :wink:

BillRedding

#17: Post by BillRedding »

Well, I'd like to know so I can compare the numbers (facts vs. opinion).

If anyone reading here has a current model ECM E-61 machine, please measure your panels (thickness) and let me know.

And come to think of it, it'd be interesting to know other brands often discussed here such as Quick Mill, Rocket, Profitec (even though related to ECM), Izzo (Alex Duetto), Bezzera and Expobar.

Right now, though, I'm trying to find out about ECM.

And so we don't go OT here in this thread, please PM me...

Thanks,

-- BR

P.S. I'm not implying ECM panels are NOT thicker than VBM's, I just want to know by how much they are. Same as for the other brands mentioned...just for a factual (measured) comparison.
--

JMBM

#18: Post by JMBM »

Well since you are considering the Strega, you should also consider Salvatore Compact Lever, and the Londinium 1. Chris coffee also sells a few levers that may interest you.