Reducing noise of Quickmill Anita

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
FrankieC63

#1: Post by FrankieC63 »

I want to try to quiet down my machine a bit and I figure a braided stainless steel hose will do the trick or at least cut some of the noise. Can anyone tell me what size of fittings are on the elbows that connect from the pump to the OPV valve? It looks like I'll need a hose with female ends on it.

FrankieC63 (original poster)

#2: Post by FrankieC63 (original poster) »

Nobody?

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Have you read suggestions from the other threads on this subject?
If you post a video with good audio, it may help others offer more specific suggestions.
Dan Kehn

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by pizzaman383 »

There was a recent thread discussing this topic. The primary sources of noise are contact between parts that rattle and the pump itself. Quickmill uses a sound reducer on some machines that makes a big difference. Chris Coffee sells it but they don't list it on their web site. I think it's called a pulser. Do a search on this site for pulser to find the thread.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

#5: Post by FrankieC63 (original poster) »

I started one of those threads :P

I have isolated it to basically the output hose being that hard teflon junk. I would think a hose with more flex would absorb some sound and provide the same strength if it's braided steel. I was looking at the Vibiemme hose 1/8 x 1/8 male to male thread. I would figure this should work. Any thoughts?

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

I BELIEVE you would be better off by increasing the stiffness of the pump mounting arrangement. See the Profitec 500 parts catalog available here:
/downloads/ ... iagram.pdf . Just off the top of my head, the axial stiffness appears to have been doubled. I started an inquiry into a quantity purchase of this mounting system but that takes some time - a precious commodity.

Vibratory pumps are lateral (axial) vibration mechanisms. The excitation is, of course, provided by the moving piston (60 times/second) and the part(s) being excited (solenoid coil, coil housing,pump snout, and any other attached parts). To attenuate this vibration would, in part, require dusting the cobwebs from textbooks and breaking out the scale to measure some weights . . . not today or tomorrow :)

The description you provide for the Teflon tubing - "junk" is not fair. The plastic (Teflon?) tubing internal to the stainless braided sheath is LIKELY of lesser quality because it has the restraining capability of the stainless sheath to restore its pressure ratings to that of the tubing you and I both have on Anita.

Some pics of the internals of your Anita would be very helpful as it seems you have a recent model.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#7: Post by FrankieC63 (original poster) »

Eric,

Thanks for the reply. 10/4 on the vibe pump mechanism.

I have been trying to get the darn pump and hose from WholeLatteLove but they seem to have trouble locating the parts as well. Kind of glad I didn't buy a Profitec if it's that hard to get parts for it.

I believe the hose and the mounts are responsible for the quietness on the Pro 500. Like you said, a rare commodity. I'll update if I am able to get a hold of the parts.

P.S. I suppose you're correct and the hose really isn't "junk" but I feel there should be better quality for the money we shell out to buy these machines. Noise suppression should be a key priority for QuickMill. I find it funny that even the QM67 which has the pulser at the end of the pump still isn't very quiet. Going rotary is nice but not everyone can afford it. I'll post a picture when I can.

#8: Post by FrankieC63 (original poster) »

UPDATE: I've ordered a braided 11 3/4" braided stainless hose with the BSP elbows/fittings. I'm sure I will have time to do this upgrade in the next month, and I'll update with results from when I do.