IMS Shower Screen Compatibility with Lever Groups

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
chris_n

#1: Post by chris_n »

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade the shower screen on my Rancilio Classe 6 Lever group and was hoping to use something from IMS.

here is the stock part: https://www.espressoparts.com/rancilio- ... ead-screen

it doesn't use a center screw, it uses friction clips that hold onto the sides of the cylinder, 57mm size.

here is what i'm hoping to use: http://www.imsfiltri.com/en/docce/e61-200-im/

it's made for e61 groups, but seems like it could work? are e61 group shower screens held on in a similar manner?

scareyourpasenger

#2: Post by scareyourpasenger »

It doesn't look like it is held on the same way but that doesn't mean it won't work. The group gasket might be enough to hold it on there or a couple dimples on the side. I have no complaints with the stock one though. What issues do you have with it?

chris_n (original poster)

#3: Post by chris_n (original poster) »

i'm not sure if i'm missing a part or if it's just the nature of the dipper group, but when i pull the lever down with no portafilter in place, the water absolutely GUSHES out everywhere violently.

this give me the idea that during preinfusion, the puck is being disturbed quite significantly which is why i want to see if using a different shower screen would help with the issue of messy spray.

boiler pressure is currently cycling between .75 and .9bar.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by FotonDrv »

I use IMS Shower Screens in my Londinium machine. They are the e61 type screens, both 35um and 200um will work on that style Group. Not sure what Rancilio did with holding in the screen but I can tell you that the IMS screens are nice and distribute the explosion of hot water fairly evenly.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

The E61 screen is meant to be held in place by the group gasket. I doubt that you can replace your pressed in screen with one but you can always give it a try. If the screen ends up sitting too low you will lose your head space.
LMWDP 267

chris_n (original poster)

#6: Post by chris_n (original poster) »

^ johnB. this makes much sense.

is the whole messy flush thing characteristic or is my shower screen damaged in some way?