How much of Heat and Roasting fan flap to be applied

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
fei

#1: Post by fei »

Hi there,

If Im roasting a full city roast level of coffee.

Shall I apply more heat, reduce roasting fan flap during drying stage?

Shall I increase power and roasting fan flap during Maillard Reaction (at about 150degree celsius) and all the way to the beginning of first crack? Heat will be reduced slightly during first crack.

After first crack, shall I increase a little bit of the heat and reduce slightly of the roasting fan flap again in order to complete the roast cycle or vice versa?

Looking forward to the precious and practical comments!

Thank you very much!

hankua
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by hankua »

Hi Fei
My small 800n roaster has a damper (wind/air control) and manual gas pressure adjustment. Every machine is different, but using low air (damper setting) from charge to 180c is a reasonable starting point. So what is the minumun air setting for your setup? You can check the exhaust stack with an anomemeter, or your hand; then mark the damper (fan flap).

As far as controlling the Maillard reaction with different air setting; that's going to require comparison cupping keeping all the other parameters consistent. Why not just leave the air alone and adjust gas up or down during the ramp to 1C?

At the end of the roast is where many people adjust their damper setting for chaff removal and fine tuning (50-100%). Same goes for the gas settings, up or down based on your ROR or how fast the decimals are ticking up on the PID temp. display.

Some roasters have powerful blowers that can suck the green coffee out of the drum into the exhaust. Every system is going to have different exhaust characteristics, figuring out air flow @ 25%, 50%, and 75% is not a bad place to start experimenting.