ECM Classika PID - "my type" of a review - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
nolazag

#21: Post by nolazag »

I got a few muddy pucks until I got my grind dialed in. After a shot I always get grinds on the screen that have to be briefly flushed away. The pucks are not rock hard on top, but they pop out of the portafilter in tact. I don't know if I have any advice to offer, being a relative newbie, but my initial approach was to keep it simple. I used one type of bean, less than a week old, weighed my dose (18g) in the double portafilter. After some trial and error (and a pressure adjustment to 9 bars), I'm able to get extractions in the 25-28 second range. I'm sure I will play with it some more once my bottomless portafilter arrives, but so far so good.

Good luck--I'm sorry to hear that your machine is giving you trouble. Mine as been a delight.

shutter-man (original poster)

#22: Post by shutter-man (original poster) »

Long time since update on this thread. In that time I can't say that I started to like this machine, but it deliver some amazing coffee.
So - I've decided that I need to get to the bottom of the things that annoyed me....

First: I've decided that the fact that the pump was engaged when you just lift the lever (before it get to the 45deg mid position), and thus also is NOT disengaged early enough before the bottom position - has to do with both the super strong splashing and the somewhat wetter than expected puck.

So: long story made short - I've opened the machine (it is kind of neat inside - though I found that one of the pipes was really pressing hard on the pump switch from the side - shipment ? ), Also - I found that the lever is putting so much pressure on that switch that the inside part of the switch is [[bending]] when it is on it upper position.. ..

So - I've added a spacer from the inside, between the pump switch and the chassis, effectively adding some space between the Lever and the switch actuator + position the switch in a way that it does not messes with the tube no more, and closed everything up again.

Results:

1) The level is engaging the pump only just after the mid position in its way to the top position. In the Top position the switch is fully pressed. The switch inside the machine no longer looks to be mechanically overstressed.
2) The "splashing" now looks normal, it is not nearly as strong as it was before.
3) I don't think that I am nuts, but it seems that the puck is definitely coming out in more solid form, and it is not as muddy as before (same weight, same grind etc).

--> I would definitely recommend checking it up if you own this machine - the fix is a 3 minute job.

Would I have picked it up again if I knew everything I know about it, and after using it?
It has nothing to do with the fix, but I don't think so. I definitely going to live with it for a year or so until my next birthday - when it will be replaced with something else.
Shutter-man

#23: Post by shutter-man (original poster) »

5 Month update:

Usage: Home usage only... few espresso each day (about 4-6 double espresso each day).
Maintenance ... meticulous: from back flushes to descaling to water quality control.., for each refill with water measured to 65ppm, with PH measured every time to be close to PH=7...

1) Does it makes good espresso?
--> Yes absolutely. I've learned how to extract amazing espresso from the machine. Forget milk frothing. I'm heating the milk in the microwave, than frothing it with a 9$ ikea french press. I actually get some very tasty results (I think that I can easily detect steamed heating - distinct taste of the extra water - but it might be just my experience) , and I can get some very nice latte-art.

2) Reliability: WELL ... here things are not so good:
--> The E61 Lever, was never "easy" to move.. WLL state that it would get smoother with the coffee .. it did for a time.. now I need to disassemble it and lubricate it ... it is really almost stuck when the machine is cold ...

--> Another issue popped up... : it looks now that the pump is misbehaving: The pressure will go up, that pump go "silent". pressure will drop... RRR I have here below a link to a video clip showing it. you can view it here:
https://shutter-man.smugmug.com/Friends ... /Espresso/

Service
Now talking about reliability ... for ppl from west coast thinking of buying on line --> the warranty assumes that you are responsible for sending the machine for service ... for me it comes in 280$ just for shipping the machine for service ... I find that I need to service the machine myself.. just for you to think about before you invest huge amount of money ...
Shutter-man

Ellejaycafe

#24: Post by Ellejaycafe »

I really wouldn't worry about muddy pucks.... It's not a sign of bad espresso or a bad extraction. Some machines and some coffees give muddy pucks. The way I have my espresso dialed in I get muddy/soupy picks no matter what. I thought that was a problem until trying to fix it ruined the flavor of the shot. Puckolgy isn't important at all in the scheme of things.
LMWDP #544

#25: Post by shutter-man (original poster) »

Hi Ellejaycafe
I stopped worrying about everything BUT taste. And indeed I could pull some amazing espressos.
The reliability is one aspect of the machine that I did not expect to face, especially with such a simple machine (common .. pump, aerator, single boiler, E61... its not a rocket science - how can it be so messed up for 1300$ )

Thanks
Shutter-man

Ellejaycafe

#26: Post by Ellejaycafe »

This is so disheartening. I love the look of those ECM machines and have contemplated buying one for a while.... I suppose I should look elsewhere. I do own an ECM commercial machine and it worked very well. Although it now sits in storage as I've got an Aurelia. I plan on modding it with a pid and a few other upgrades in the near future and using it as a side machine to experiment.
LMWDP #544

#27: Post by shutter-man (original poster) »

Hey Ellejaycafe,
How can you even consider the ECM classika if you have an Aurelia by NUOVA SIMONELLI ?
These are fully professional ones probably 3 times better than the small ECM ...
Cheers and enjoy !
Shutter-man