Ethiopia Sidamo Raw (green) Coffee Beans ?? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

#11: Post by Boldjava »

insatiableOne wrote:This is what I had found.

Except Ethiopia does not use what you found:

"The classification system of Ethiopian coffee recognizes 5 grades. Washed coffees fall within grades 1 and 2, unwashed coffees (naturals) within grades 3 - 5...."

http://www.specialtycoffee.nl/en/coffee ... s/ethiopia

I am unsure which system the seller of the greens in OP is using.
-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava

#12: Post by Boldjava »

Except naturals begin at number "3":

"The classification system of Ethiopian coffee recognizes 5 grades. Washed coffees fall within grades 1 and 2, unwashed coffees (naturals) within grades 3 - 5...."

http://www.specialtycoffee.nl/en/coffee ... s/ethiopia

I am unsure which system the seller of the greens in OP is using.
-----
LMWDP #339

weebit_nutty

#13: Post by weebit_nutty »

boar_d_laze wrote:All of three of those companies' greens retail prices reflect the prices they pay and their overhead, none are gouging. Looking from the outside in, their margins appear similar.
I don't think what I stated came off as an intent to accuse any vendor of price gouging, if so I apologize. But you perked my interest in this statement. "Looking from the outside", if you don't know what they paid for their beans or what what their operational costs/overheads are how can you be certain what their margins are much less comparing them as being similar? <head scratch>
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

boar_d_laze

#14: Post by boar_d_laze »

There are enough comparisons with other dealers to get a feel. Admittedly a "feel" is not the same thing as epistemological certainty, which is why I qualified my guess with "looking from the outside in," and "appear similar" [scratching crotch, while tracing circles in the dirt with a bare toe].

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

rgrosz

#15: Post by rgrosz »

boar_d_laze wrote:Bodhi and Klatch are the two green suppliers I use most often. Bodhi offers a fairly large choice of beans, not all of them are 90+; but many are. You might want to switch to Klatch. Klatch is a little more selective in their offerings than Bodhi or -- for that matter -- SM. If SM works for you, stick with them. Unless you're driving out to OC, Bodhi isn't really that local. One's a forty-five minute drive, the other five hours.

All of three of those companies' greens retail prices reflect the prices they pay and their overhead, none are gouging. Looking from the outside in, their margins appear similar.

Rich
+1
I have bought green coffee from Bodhi, Klatch and SM. IMHO they all have good quality offerings. Klatch has some very special offerings that I eagerly anticipate each year - such as the Panama Elida Natural and Ethiopia Gedeo Worka.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

ccr

#16: Post by ccr »

rgrosz wrote:I have bought green coffee from Bodhi, Klatch and SM. IMHO they all have good quality offerings.
I agree. In my opinion they all carry great coffee, but all have different lower thresholds for quality and different perspectives on selections.

insatiableOne (original poster)

#17: Post by insatiableOne (original poster) »

Regardless, it is what I was looking for.
Thank You to everyone for the help and replies.

The greens were extremely clean, roasted it this morning to second crack. It did continue further into it than expected.
Although the greens are all different sizes, that's no biggie to me really.
There was almost no chaff at all!!

I ground a shot, after it cooled to see what general flavor profile to expect. → Then I bought another 60 lbs. before it disappears! :mrgreen:
This should save me thousands throughout the year.

Next roast will try lighter, then dial in grinder. Cant wait until Thursday or so,as I wonder how it will settle in for flavor. I should have the flavor profile mastered by next year.

All because my other supplier would not answer my email. Their loss, sorry R-M, no 80 lb. sale of Italian Millano.

#18: Post by insatiableOne (original poster) »

So far have completed four roasts and made temperature and grind adjustments (all separately of course).

As mentioned earlier; first roast was well into second crack, Full city plus+ don't think it was into Vienna yet.
Just too much roast for me. Tasting slightly burnt, losing the fruit notes, slightly bitter. Still eh, ok, better than the local roasters.

Second batch, stopped after first crack stopped; back to the hot lemonade saga.
Bean was hard to grind, mostly on the sour side, STRONG orange flavor, lime, no berry or wine present. Failure to me.
Re-roasted this to second crack, mixed it with some Brazilian I dislike (will use for drip at work).

The last roast I did (4th); stopped it just about 7 pops into second crack, grinds pretty smooth, tried a shot right out of roaster after it cooled.
No sour or bitterness to it. Light hint of wine here, blackberry flavor present, very pleasant actually, even to the bottom.

This variety seemed to favor (for me) much finer grind, slightly more dose, lower brew temperature.
I did end up adjusting the P--stat down, this with the slight lighter roast combated the slight burnt taste, just my opinion here.

Oh, got a caffeine buzz after 3-4 shots! :?

weebit_nutty

#19: Post by weebit_nutty »

For Ethiopian, I shoot for City+. Sometimes I dump at FC, but anytime I go beyond that, the roast is relegated to milk drink duty. For Brazil and Colombia, I shoot for FC and FC+, as they offer super chocolate and caramel notes.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

#20: Post by insatiableOne (original poster) »

I think that is about close to where I'm at also.

Right now, for me it is easy to roast a small..tester at end of first crack + another into second, then see where to tweak from there.