I'm a Starbucks barista; Tell me everything you wish I'd do differently. - Page 4

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
weebit_nutty

#31: Post by weebit_nutty »

Troll alert.

What is the point of this thread? To ask folks for changes they'd like to see in Starbucks that would never happen? It's a really, really pointless question.

First of all, please don't delude yourself by calling yourself a Starbucks barista. There aren't any. This is akin to a data entry worker calling themselves programmers or analysts. Who are you kidding...

This is not meant as a personal attack, as I do not know you. I just want to express the ridiculousness of your request.

Anyway, I'm all for anyone who wants to learn how to make better coffee, but the supposition here is that somehow this will translate to better coffee you will be making at Starbucks will never happen. They have a standardized business model to make money, not good coffee.

Perhaps you might retitle the thread to, "I work at Starbucks; Please tell how to make good coffee." if you want to avoid making Starbucks the focus of this thread. You knew exactly what kind of responses you'll get.. That's why I'm calling you out as a troll.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

day

#32: Post by day replying to weebit_nutty »

I would agree with you IF everyone already knew about quality coffee. However, it is entirely possible that a Starbucks Barista does not know anything about good coffee and if one didnt the comments and ideas presented would follow expectations. Thus, troll or not, the thread is certainly plausible.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

weebit_nutty

#33: Post by weebit_nutty replying to day »

You are the voice of reason :)

Okay fine, I'll play.. Here are 2 cents.. Here's my 1 cent.

Dear Fresq--- (with the assumption you are NOT the troll, I've accused you of being):

What you could do differently if your goal is to improve what you're serving is learn to froth milk. I think that's really the only thing within your control that you could do without getting you fired. Don't try latte art might actually get you fired so I won't recommend that. The managers are intent on strict control of their low quality standard. Their corporate goal is consistency. Plus your fellow employees might want to learn as well. It could destroy the company. You know what, on second thought :lol:

In all seriousness, let's just assume you want to learn to be a better barista without the Starbucks context. I won't believe for a second anything you would do at the store could lead to a better drink if you're starting with stale, nasty over roasted beans. But if it improves your job satisfaction and personal image, well then, roll up those sleeves, grow out that stache, and take some barista courses. You'll soon find yourself heading to a real coffee shop.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

TomC
Team HB

#34: Post by TomC »

Let's take a break from the "troll calling". This thread is locked for a cool down period. Participants are encouraged to be mindful of this site's guidelines for online participation, namely : be respectful/polite.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/