Bezzera Strega plus what grinder?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
uwbadger81

#1: Post by uwbadger81 »

Hello all! I am a beginner that is very interested in learning/practicing/getting decent at pulling espresso shots. I have a pre order on a Bezzera Strega that I am extremely excited about, but I am not sure what grinder will pair well with it.

I am going to try to squeeze 2 questions into 1 post because I do have a kind of deal breaker with the Bezzera.....I need it to be ready to go in the morning without waiting for it to heat up. Can I leave it on overnight, or can I set it up with an auto timer? If not, I will be starting a new forum about which espresso machine to buy :).

If so, my main question is if there are strong opinions about what grinder will pair with it nicely. I am willing to go to about $1500 (but would love to be closer to 1000). I don't really like the idea of a doser, but I can be persuaded :). Other than that I don't really have any specifications, except that I am not really in for a hand grinder, I really like the HG One but at 5:30 am I don't think I will be feeling it! Thanks for help folks!

boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

uwbadger81 wrote:Can I leave it on overnight?
Yes.
Or can I set it up with an auto timer?
Yes.
What grinder will pair with it nicely.
Lots of great choices.
I am willing to go to about $1500 (but would love to be closer to 1000).
The Ceado E37s is currently on sale at WLL. It seems to check all your boxes.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

The Strega has the very peculiar advantage of having a group head heater. It's ready to go in 12 minutes flat. I turn it on when I wake up, and it's ready by the time I'm staggering out of the bathroom.

$1500 should buy you a commercial conical if you shop around and call. However, it would be a doser model, since these are less expensive. The flat burr grinders at that price point usually do just as well; but conicals have the advantage of requiring fewer grind setting changes. I would seriously look for the Ceado E92, Mazzer Kony, Macp MXK, Fiorenzato Doge Conico, or Compak K10. All these grinders will be very close to your budget with some shopping and calling. For instance, if you are getting the Strega at 1st Line, a sub $1400 Kony may be in the cards as well.

The Quamar T48 is a a titan flat burr (88mm) at less than 1K sold at 1st line. If I were in your shoes, I'd check user experience on that grinder; on specs alone, it may be the best value out there.
Jim Schulman