Update: La Marzocco steam tip on Nuova Simonelli Oscar

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

So, I got the opportunity to use an FB/80 wand recently... I felt ashamed of my Oscar's wand when I went to steam some milk this morning. Is it possible to retrofit the FB80/GB5 wand on an Oscar? I don't care about drip tray clearance, I was looking to replace my steam wand anyways because of all of the worn off chrome. The actual steam power didn't seem drastically different (of course it was beefier, but surprisingly not by much), the tip however, seemed to make smoother quality milk. I was also looking and the Linea wand.. and I can't figure out why it's so expensive compared to the FB/80 wand.

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#2: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

Follow up on my previous post..

After having my Oscar for almost 5 months, I've come to the realization that the steam tip is very lack luster.. Don't get me wrong, the power was great.. but it wasn't the easiest to get a great roll with. I have looked at the vortex tips, etc.. and they look cool, but I'm just not going to splash out $100 on a steam tip. Then I started thinking about the few La Marzoccos I used at various latte art competitions, I always got great milk.. and great art. So, I checked on EPNW and sure enough, the LM tip is only about 15 bucks. The tip arrived today.. I was literally stoked about it's arrival. The minute I got it out of the package I yanked the beat up NS steam tip off, and slapped the LM tip on. WOW, Milk rides up the side creating a perfect roll.. I'm definitely going to be lowering my pressure stat a little bit.. that milk was done in less than 6 seconds on a home machine... beats the Linea/FB80 i've used, going to aim for more like 8-10. Despite the speed, I got the best looking milk I've ever gotten out of Oscar.. and I poured a beautiful layered heart. So, to all of you Oscar users out there saying how hard it is to get a grasp on his steam - check out an LM tip, they are dirt cheap, and extremely superior in my opinion.. I think my next "mod" (not really) will be retrofitting a GB/5 steam valve and wand so the steam activation isn't reverse.

sikijou

#3: Post by sikijou »

yup couldnt agree more, although im not using the same steam tip as you, im using musica steam tip and the difference is huge its like night and day.
so.. yeah if any oscar user that find them self steam milk a lot, changing the steam tip will definitely help you and most important that i notice im able to get constant result steam after steam so it make it much easier to have a repeatable result.

jheci

#4: Post by jheci »

Hi! Can you confirm that the La Marzocco steam tip you used for your NS Oscar is this one https://www.espressoparts.com/la-marzoc ... m-wand-tip?

I am looking to upgrade my steam tip from the stock one. As most of us know, it's a pain in the ass to use.

I am hesitating between the Musica tip (that can be found on Elektro's) or La Marzocco's found on EP.

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#5: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

Yep, that's the one.. I am thinking of putting that Musica tip on the BDB since it has threads on the inside which will hook up to my Dual Boiler's stock steam wand. Oh how I wish the 900xl had a pressurestat/adjustable steam temp.