Problem with extraction accelerating during shot - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
dilin

#11: Post by dilin »

Hi,

I have a Encore/EC155 combo as well. I'm having okay results at 13g/14g (unpressurized stock double) with the Encore at 5 or 6.

Waiting for my bigger basket though! :P , where I hope to updose at 18g and grind at 7 or 8.

aw82 (original poster)

#12: Post by aw82 (original poster) »

Quick update: this weekend I pulled four shots, keeping my same dose and other parameters but added one more step. After WDT, I dropped the basket 2-3 times from 1/2 to 1" high onto the countertop. If the surface of the un-tamped puck didn't look level, I WDT'd again and then dropped it on the countertop again. When it appeared level, I tamped.I tried this for both the finer setting/lighter tamp combo and the coarser setting/full tamp combo and in both cases it made for a better, more consistent flow. In fact, I had no spray on the coarser setting and blonding started much later. This convinces me that (at least for this particular coffee), the coarser setting is the way to go, I just need to keep improving my distribution technique (and perhaps get my grind more consistent).

In short: huge improvement in terms of appearance of the extraction. Taste was about the same. And then I ran out of coffee. I've decided to switch to Red Bird Espresso since its consistency might be better for this dialing-in period.

I think one thing that tripped me up earlier was not understanding the ideal rate of flow for an extraction. It seems like it is OK for the first several seconds to be mostly dripping rather than a continuous stream (right?).

Advertisement
boar_d_laze

#13: Post by boar_d_laze »

Chris (cmin) is right. Your grinder is inadequate for espresso. It will give you inconsistent results and greatly restrict your ability to dial in as your coffee changes over time, or for new coffees.

In the Baratza line, the Baratza Preciso is the least expensive adequate grinder for espresso. The LeLit PL053, also under $300 new, is also adequate.

The reason dropping the basket on the counter worked was because it (1) Settled the fines to the bottom of the basket where they could restrict the flow; and possibly also (2) Filled in some voids which survived despite WDT.

Tamping harder is never the answer.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator