Should I fix this E61 brew lever switch position?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Gig103

#1: Post by Gig103 »

I noticed that when I put my E61 lever in the middle position it pushes the switch in, not fully, but enough to start the pump even before I get to the full-open state on my lever:
When I had the case open I considered loosening the washer and moving it back just enough to not do this, but the switch wouldn't have been secure on the inside (I need another washer for the inside so it doesn't 'float'). Is it worth doing anything about this, if I'm not planning on operating the machine in a way that keeps it in the middle?

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by emradguy »

If you intend to plumb in the machine AND take advantage of the inherent pre-infusion that comes along with owning an E61 group machine, then yes, you should fix it. Otherwise, it won't make a difference.
LMWDP #748

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

While there is a small amount of preinfusion that takes place in the "just past middle" position when the pump is till off with HX machines (sounds like a T-shirt print), the risk is greater. You can get a flash boil as the hot water is released from it pressurized state in the HX. Remember that the E-61 group has its own "soft start" where it begins the saturation of the puck at low(er) pressure, and only ramps to full brewing force after the group is filled with water and the puck begins to resist the flow. I just know too darn much stuff about these things. It has displaced a lot of stuff I wish I could remember, like where are my keys and what did I have for dinner last night...
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Gig103 (original poster)

#4: Post by Gig103 (original poster) »

emradguy wrote:If you intend to plumb in the machine AND take advantage of the inherent pre-infusion that comes along with owning an E61 group machine, then yes, you should fix it. Otherwise, it won't make a difference.
I'm not planning on plumbing for now. But the Andreja plumb kit is an add-on that includes a pressure regulator and a solenoid on the water input. As a result, as I understand it the water pressure is like a reservoir and zero until the pump is activated, at which time the solenoid opens to draw water from the line.
Randy G. wrote:While there is a small amount of preinfusion that takes place in the "just past middle" position when the pump is till off with HX machines (sounds like a T-shirt print), the risk is greater. You can get a flash boil as the hot water is released from it pressurized state in the HX. Remember that the E-61 group has its own "soft start" where it begins the saturation of the puck at low(er) pressure, and only ramps to full brewing force after the group is filled with water and the puck begins to resist the flow. I just know too darn much stuff about these things. It has displaced a lot of stuff I wish I could remember, like where are my keys and what did I have for dinner last night...
I'm not sure if you were replying to me, or to Ron about the preinfusion... Do you agree with him that I should fix it only if plumbing?

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

Gig103 wrote:I'm not sure if you were replying to me, or to Ron about the preinfusion... Do you agree with him that I should fix it only if plumbing?
It was a shotgun reply- I've been working too hard to talk to just one person... :wink:

I agree that while the machine is on reservoir that there is no need to adjust the switch. Just flip the lever up and enjoy the coffee.

Beenbag

#6: Post by Beenbag »

Just a thought...
Are you sure there is no threaded adjustment on the button head of that switch ?
Some of these switches can be adjusted in that way.

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. replying to Beenbag »

I thought the question was not "is it possible?", but, "should it be done?"

Gig103 (original poster)

#8: Post by Gig103 (original poster) »

Beenbag wrote:Just a thought...
Are you sure there is no threaded adjustment on the button head of that switch ?
Some of these switches can be adjusted in that way.
That was a good idea, but the switch is not adjustable in that way.