Espresso accessories for Breville Dual Boiler/Baratza Vario combo - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Crispy

#11: Post by Crispy »

johyphenel wrote:One step easier! I called my local BB&B today verify that a coupon could be used for online products, right there on the phone they got all my info and sold me the BDB at the discounted price, no need to show the coupon. Great way to save $260!
Great tip. Thanks! I hope to be ready to purchase in about 2 weeks, so this is good to know.

BobStern

#12: Post by BobStern »

The large Tubby knockbox is larger than you probably imagine. Look at the specs and place an object of that size on your counter to be sure you want something that big. I love my small Tubby.

The Vario grinder stays so clean I don't think you need cleaning brushes. Several owners have said that.

I think the Breville tamper is fine.

VST 15 and 18 mm filter baskets fit the standard, spouted Breville portafilter perfectly. The VST 18 mm has the same depth as the Breville double basket, so I suspect the VST 20 mm would be too deep unless you get the bottomless portafilter. (The Breville tamper is an even better fit for the VST baskets than Breville's own baskets.)

JavaBuzz

#13: Post by JavaBuzz »

+1 on Breville bottomless portafilter, tamper mat,and knockbox.

Maybe some espresso, cappuccino, etc. cups if you don't have them?

A small scale would be good for weighing shots. Some examples:

500gr max (~1kg after tare), .01gr accuracy:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Sc ... rds=Sm-501

1kg max (~2kg after tare), .1gr accuracy
http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Sc ... rds=Bl-1kg

I own a couple of both of the above, and I prefer the 1st for espresso (better accuracy) and the 2nd for brewed coffee (higher max weight).

I actually think the Breville single wall baskets are very good for the price (~$7), but they do seem to float around .1-.2mm larger (58.8-58.9mm) in inner diameter than VST baskets. Because they're so cheap and shipping from Breville is free over $xx, I ordered a couple spare baskets when I ordered my bottomless portafilter.

FYI, I do still slightly prefer the VST baskets (I have a 15/18/20gr VST), but they are quite expensive. 15gr is my most used VST (but I'm guessing the 18gr one is more commonly purchased). The Breville double baskets are ~18gr baskets.

I'm personally not a fan of the Breville tamper, but you can't get much better for its price (~$8). Not a bad starter tamper.

The Breville single baskets are actually my favorite single baskets so far, but I use them dosed at 10gr with a 57mm convex tamper (because of the basket shape, a standard flat tamper doesn't work unless you overdose the single basket to the point it's basically hitting the grouphead).

BobStern

#14: Post by BobStern »

JavaBuzz: Does the 20mm VST basket fit in the Breville spouted portafilter? (Even if it fits, I wonder whether it does not perform as designed because there may not be enough clearance between the bottom of the VST basket and the bottom of the portafilter.)

Shife

#15: Post by Shife replying to BobStern »

The 20g VST works with the standard Breville portafilter. I used one with my Oracle.

doublehelix

#16: Post by doublehelix »

BobStern wrote:JavaBuzz: Does the 20mm VST basket fit in the Breville spouted portafilter? (Even if it fits, I wonder whether it does not perform as designed because there may not be enough clearance between the bottom of the VST basket and the bottom of the portafilter.)
I use the full collection of VST baskets on my spouted PF--however, the VST triple basket is a snug fit. The triple basket sees service in my naked PF. Be sure to only order the RIDGELESS baskets. The ridged version will barely fit and is really hard to remove, especially from the spouted PF. Chris's Coffee has the full line of VST baskets. Breville stock baskets are also EXCELLENT.

I also ordered my naked PF from Breville, along with a nice assortment of spare gaskets, PF springs, etc. FWIW--the Breville water filter houses ion-exchange resin beads to soften your water. They are pricey..... Accordingly, I use distilled water with added baking soda and have greatly extended time between replacing the filter. This filter now mainly acts to remove any garbage that may find its way into the tank.

JavaBuzz

#17: Post by JavaBuzz »

BobStern wrote:JavaBuzz: Does the 20mm VST basket fit in the Breville spouted portafilter? (Even if it fits, I wonder whether it does not perform as designed because there may not be enough clearance between the bottom of the VST basket and the bottom of the portafilter.)
On vacation, so won't be near my espresso machine soon to check, but looks like a few others thoroughly answered your question.

I ordered the bottomless shortly after I received my BDB, and I don't think I've used the spouted since, except for installing a blank basket in it and using it to clean and backflush the BDB. :)

BobStern

#18: Post by BobStern »

doublehelix wrote:the Breville water filter houses ion-exchange resin beads to soften your water. They are pricey..... Accordingly, I use distilled water with added baking soda and have greatly extended time between replacing the filter.
Are you referring to the stock Breville filter that fits inside the tank? On the 920 it is an activated charcoal filter. Where did you read that they include resin beads that release a water softener? (My city tap water already is extremely soft.)
doublehelix wrote:This filter now mainly acts to remove any garbage that may find its way into the tank.
During pumping, I believe water flows from the OPV back to the tank. Since a tiny amount of coffee could migrate from the showerhead back to the OPV, I assume a tiny amount of coffee gets into the tank, where the charcoal filter catches it.

doublehelix

#19: Post by doublehelix »

BobStern wrote:During pumping, I believe water flows from the OPV back to the tank. Since a tiny amount of coffee could migrate from the showerhead back to the OPV, I assume a tiny amount of coffee gets into the tank, where the charcoal filter catches it.
Stock Breville filters. Also thought they were activated charcoal, until I opened one up. Nice little golden beads of plastic ion exchange resin. Was surprised. Probably a good thing if folks are using hard city water and don't feel like descaling often.