Help ID'ing Rancilio Silvia (version)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
n_maher

#1: Post by n_maher »

Hello there. I've spent a fair amount of time reading both here, there are everywhere about "entry level" espresso machines and while cruising CL last week I stumbled upon what I think may be a good buy. But there's a catch. I contacted the seller because while Silvia listed as a V1, both the appearance (drip tray) and more importantly the serial # say that it is a series two manufactured in 2007. What is causing further confusion is that when providing further details the seller stated that they bought the machine 2002. At the asking price it would be a good, local deal on what appears to be a lightly used V2 but I have almost no interest in owning a V1 due to both age and lack of readily available PID options should I choose to go that route in the future.

I've attached images of the machine and the serial number that were provided by the seller. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Nate

stefano65
Sponsor

#2: Post by stefano65 »

Manufacture February 2007
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Advertisement
n_maher (original poster)

#3: Post by n_maher (original poster) »

I guess the question was really is there anything I'm missing that would either confirm or disprove what I think I know - that it's a V2 made in 02/2007? Or, if I go to look at it is there anything quickly accessible within the machine that I can use to make sure it's a V2?

Thanks,
Nate

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

There was actually V1a and V1b (designation mine).
The "b" verison had the heating element welded in while the "a" was bolted through and replaceable separately.
There is no reason why even these cannot be PID'd. I had a V1b and PID'd it myself.
The one you are showing has the later group cover, later PF handle and later drip tray cover.
The steam wand tip does not look stock.
Someone else can comment on whether this version has the adjustable pressure relief valve or not. I sold my Silvia before that was available, and once it was gone I didn't look back.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

n_maher (original poster)

#5: Post by n_maher (original poster) replying to Randy G. »

Thank you very much for the thorough reply.

Crispy

#6: Post by Crispy »

Except for the steam tip, this looks identical to mine, which was purchased in 2007. I wonder whether the plastic chrom collar around the group head has been replaced. I'm on my second one and the "chrome" is peeling off the plastic again.