Great, cheap way to roast more than 1lb of coffee? - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
MNSTA

#21: Post by MNSTA »

I have a heat gun and modified bread maker , I have done well over 150 roast on this set up , I generally roast 650g of green batches,

I can hit 1st cr any where from 10 -13 min and 2nd cr 13-17 min depending on the profile I want,

I use a Bosch digital heat gun , and have riveted an extension to the paddle to help with agitation,

I have the bin insulated with a fire blanket and also a lid,

I have a thermocouple fitted to the pan to monitor bean mass temp,

Not a lot of outlay for fantastic results,

Have a look at the Australian coffeesnobs site ,they call this a Corretto roaster set up , plenty of info on the modifications.

HoldTheOnions

#22: Post by HoldTheOnions »

LukeFlynn wrote:I've got a popper, and I liked the results... in fact it's the whole reason I want to get back into roasting. I am pretty confident I want larger batches.. I often got frustrated buying small quantities of roasted coffee.. and I go through about a pound a week. For milk drinks, I generally like a chocolaty profile.. So I decided to go ahead and order some Brazil Fazenda Do Sertao, as well as the Pulp Natural Iramo Pereira.. For straight shots, I tend to prefer other coffees, such as Yirga. If I drunk shots on a regular basis, I'd probably invest in another Major since I recently sold my SJ. But, I don't.. and I'm pretty confident I'll stay with Lattes, capps, and macchiatos for a while. I'm super excited to get back to it!
I agree the 4-6 oz batches are completely bollocks, I got tired of that limitation as well, but it seems most people believe poppers are only capable of very small batches and don't realize that a poplite and $30 shop vac can do 1/3lb to 1/2lb roasts. Not the right solution for everyone, but I like to convey for anyone who might be interested.

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#23: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

I'm so stoked to try the Bread Maker setup, going to read up on it some more.

dominico
Team HB

#24: Post by dominico »

I found a Stir Crazy at a Goodwill for $4 two weeks ago, so I bought a Rosewill Halogen Convection oven and an 11 inch diameter spring form pan off of Amazon and got myself a SC/TO roaster for a grand total of $50. It does a lb at a time no problem.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?