SCAA 2015: Mahlkonig Peak First Impressions - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Maxwell Mooney

#21: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

caddderly wrote:Anyone else seen one in the flesh?

I'm really interested in this grinder, but wonder what it tastes like!

I keep reading that it is EK-like in taste profile, but the EK seems to be more utilized for long 60-80 gram type "coffee shots". I have not had a chance to try much espresso off an EK43, but I have had some of the super long extracted type from the EK43.

I have been mostly using my Guatemala for espresso grinding, and this tends to make things sweeter, cleaner, smoother, but the taste will sometimes get muddled. The mouth feel is very different with a thinner result and less crema.

Can the PEAK make thick, viscous creamy shots too, or is it mainly designed for longer brewed shots?

Thanks!
Matt

I had some espressos from the grinder from a few different folks. Huckleberry pulled me a gorgeous Colombian from it.

In regards to your question about body, it seems to be able to extract like a traditional espresso grinder. I didn't notice exceptionally light bodied espresso from it, but all the espressos I had from it were light roasts so they tend toward the lighter side of body anyhow. This photo Mahlkonig posted on Instagram shows some pretty serious tiger flecking and mottling, which usually lends to thicker bodied espressos in my experience.

"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406

Advertisement
davebm

#22: Post by davebm »

Is the Peak going to be double the price to that of the K30? I currently have my eyes on acquiring a K30 - my vario is just not performing as I wish it would.

Bob_McBob

#23: Post by Bob_McBob »

The Peak is $3250 vs. $2200 for the K30 here in Canada. Slightly cheaper than the EK43 at $3495.
Chris

davebm

#24: Post by davebm »

I can get a K30 for about $1500 brand new through a contact here. Hence why I am thinking of just going for a K30.