Prolonged (an hour) very bad after taste from espresso - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
boar_d_laze

#11: Post by boar_d_laze »

Ben,

If I'm ever well enough to have company, you can come over for an espresso morning and a bit of an espresso lesson on my equipment and any bean you want to use. We'll start with learning how to taste, and what to taste for; then go on from there.

At this stage, I don't think me going to you would make good use of our time as it would take me quite a bit of time to clean and dial in your equipment. Besides, me monkeying with your setup wouldn't mean much until you have a feeling for the basics.

If you're interested, PM me your email and phone number, we'll work something out.

One of the best barista trainers in the US isn't far from you. That's Heather Perry, at Klatch in Upland.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

day

#12: Post by day »

I just realized...you were the one that picked up the heavily used duo recently right?

I remember searching the info for identification:)

Did you ever open up the boilers and descale/inspect?

Also, incredible offer from rich! Snatch that one up:)
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Desmo490

#13: Post by Desmo490 »

boar_d_laze wrote:Ben,

If I'm ever well enough to have company, you can come over for an espresso morning and a bit of an espresso lesson on my equipment and any bean you want to use. We'll start with learning how to taste, and what to taste for; then go on from there.

Rich

It would be hard to pass that up!

cmin

#14: Post by cmin »

TomC wrote:It's the hard thing about espresso. The entry fee isn't cheap. Your grinder is not up to the task of espresso grinding. Your machine is probably trailing behind as well.
Yes it is, I used one for almost 3 years single dosing, more than adequate to pull good shots, I had no problem pulling nice ones without spritz or channeling on a bottomless.

Ben like I said in your other thread, 12bar is way to high on a normal basket and will make poor espresso and extractions (hence why anyone that buys a machine set high they adjust it lower, makes a huge difference). For example a friend that had a Gaggia Classic the stock opv is set to high like 11 or 12 and shots were pretty bad, adjusted it down and with the same process/beans/grinder shots were much better. Until you can do that, not much you can do, if you can even adjust the opv on it as I don't know that machine. Temps are way too low as well but could be however your measuring.

Always the chance something could be wrong with the grinder. I don't know if you did what I told you to do in the other thread but you need to check the burr holder and make sure there's no slight crack, check the adjustment ring, and make sure screw on the ring is set to the "fine" window. But if all that appears fine, that still points to your machine or technique.

I would take Rich up on his offer, could very well help you, hell most any shop or barista could use his help ;) lol

boar_d_laze

#15: Post by boar_d_laze »

cmin wrote:Yes it is, I used one for almost 3 years single dosing, more than adequate to pull good shots, I had no problem pulling nice ones without spritz or channeling on a bottomless.
Without nearly as much personal experience, +1 as to the Preciso's adequacy. I think Tom might have confused the Preciso with the Virtuoso or Encore.

As you know a lot of people new to espresso try to make one of the lesser Baratzas work and end up here. For those of us trying to help, when the word "Baratza" is used without "Vario" following, hilarity confusion may ensue.

Tom knows as much as anyone about grinders, agree or disagree but take his opinion seriously.
12bar is way to high on a normal basket and will make poor espresso and extractions (hence why anyone that buys a machine set high they adjust it lower, makes a huge difference). Until you can do that, not much you can do,if you can even adjust the opv on it as I don't know that machine.
+1. Based on a little bit of quick research I think the OPV is adjustable. Ben should call 1st Line (who retails Ascaso) to make sure.
Temps are way too low as well but could be however your measuring.
Extrapolating from Ben's methodology and his complaints about the espresso's taste and lingering aftertaste, temps are likely too high. But the Ascaso uses a wide-band thermostat with a "ready light" for temping, and temping will be highly inaccurate and inconsistent.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

TomC
Team HB

#16: Post by TomC »

My only point, which wasn't well laid out, is that hitting your target becomes exceedingly difficult with entry level gear. I'm not saying it can't be done however, it's just going to be a ton of work and potentially a ton of wasted coffee and frustration. I'm familiar with which grinder it is, and the forgiveness factor of both these kinds of machines is very narrow when combined. If you truly don't know the temperature of the water hitting the puck, or if it has some stability, added with a very high brew pressure, on an entry level grinder is going to be at best, a challenge.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

ben8jam (original poster)

#17: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I was extremely frustrated at that moment. I hate doing things half-assed; and being held back because of finances (if this was a movie, the espresso making process would actually be a vehicle to deliver a much large theme) just makes it worse. I started with a Mr.Coffee with a pressurized portafilter (which I didn't even know what that was before I joined here) and perhaps my expectations of the next phase were a little off.

Don't come down hard on TomC. He's right, though perhaps not in his bed manner :wink: . You all have far superior machines and I can understand viewing an entry level grinder and a seven year old obscure espresso machine as just not being able to hit a certain mark.

But at this point, I don't need a god-shot. I just need a decent 2oz to enjoy while I write. But with all the variables all over the place, yes, I am at a major disadvantage.

So needless to say, here are a few answers to everyone's questions.

1. I took the boiler apart last week and thoroughly cleaned.
2. My machine does NOT have an OPV (which I learned while trying to adjust what turned out to be a primer valve).
2a. I am going to buy either an OPV or just an expansion valve to bring the pressure down. I hope this will make a big difference. Just trying to find an affordable option that will work.
3. The water tastes fine that I run through the group.
4. I've dialed the grind back as far as I can to where it's gushing (even with heavy tamp) and work my way forward. Truth be told, the Preciso is by far precise. The clicking is very hard to keep steady and the micro dial just seems to through everything off on each adjustment.
4a. I've talked to Barazta about the internal adjustment ring. Pierce has said that that those settings only move where the grind numbers fall. So if you are getting to 1 and still to coarse, you would shift the internal rings to make a 1 a 15 and then you could keep dialing down. I'm at a 10-13 so it won't do anything for me.
4b. I've looked over the internals of the grinder they look okay - going to email Pierce and see what he says.
5. I'll check the level of the tamp. I do notice that the depressions from the screen pressure are not even (they are also very deep, not sure if that matters).
6. Boar_d_laze - I really appreciate the offer! Happy to take you up on that! I just drove past Monrovia today (RenFaire).

So that's where I'm left at it. I made four shots this morning. And we shant talk about them.....

Thanks everyone:
TomC wrote:.
boar_d_laze wrote:.
cmin wrote:.
Desmo490 wrote:.
day wrote:.
samuellaw178 wrote:.
hb wrote:.
heavyduty wrote:.
BillRedding wrote:.

day

#18: Post by day »

ben8jam wrote: 5. I'll check the level of the tamp. I do notice that the depressions from the screen pressure are not even (they are also very deep, not sure if that matters).
You def. need to get some control over the user end of prep work and make sure everything is level. If it is not consistent and level then the shots wont be consistent and dialing in will just become an exercise in frustration, imo.

16.5 grams in a 58mm double basket tamped should not, I do not think, be leaving any impressions whatsoever, certainly not deep grooves. I remember your initial posts contained questions on which basket was a single or double or what they were. I wonder if you ended up using the single basket and are overdosing?

They say a nickel should fit between the tamped surface and the screen, others disagree, but overall something seems wrong with your dose imo.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone