Espresso Myths: Magical Crema [video]

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
HoldTheOnions

#1: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I thought a good youtube on crema

Mark08859

#2: Post by Mark08859 »

Guess I'll have to watch this series of videos to see how I can improve what I do at home. Most Interesting.

Advertisement
Oakeshott

#3: Post by Oakeshott »

I found this series of classes/videos very helpful. Recommend highly.

Mark08859

#4: Post by Mark08859 »

Using the brew ratio method is strongly stressed. They use a scale to weigh the coffee while it pours. It appears the GS3 dumps water directly into the drip tray w/o being exposed to the cup/scale. An E61 tends to splash about. If one pulls the scale away while pouring, coffee spills on it. Can anyone suggest a waterproof or water resistant scale? I would like to try this w/o frying a scale.

brianl

#5: Post by brianl »

I've never once splashed the discharge on my scale. Just make sure it's not under it?

MWJB

#6: Post by MWJB »

Mark08859 wrote: Can anyone suggest a waterproof or water resistant scale? I would like to try this w/o frying a scale.
Some scales come with a clear plastic cover, you can flip it over and use it a drip tray on top of the weighing platform, some pop the scales in a clear plastic bag.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

If you're looking for an excuse to buy a new toy, the newly released Acaia Lunar scale is sized for drip trays and waterproof. I use a small scale with a plastic tray with the cup on the tray to avoid espresso on scale contact the few times I use a scale.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
boar_d_laze

#8: Post by boar_d_laze »

You can buy a $129 Acaia if you want, but the scale in The Chef's Steps videos is a $22 AWS. Not water proof. No social media capabilities. It weighs.

I have both the "just battery" version they use, and the "battery/AC" model and the second is the more useful because -- without "auto off" when plugged in -- it holds a tare indefinitely.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

insatiableOne

#9: Post by insatiableOne »

I am finding all these differences in when roasting & shot failure vs. aesthetic, or just pleasing to the palate.