Latest diagram to illustrate adjusting taste with grind and flow rate - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
dhb

#11: Post by dhb »

emradguy wrote: .....
I thing there is a misunderstanding. Sure at the begin of the day, you dial in your coffee by using dose and grind. But the world, even in a coffee shop isn't static. E.g with more people in the shop, or starts raining outside the humidity gets higher, as a result the shots will flow faster. Now you have a few options: grind finer, dose higher or do both to get the shot length back in to the desired range.

In a shop environment you rather grind finer or dose higher, but won't start the whole dial in again, unless there is a really good reason for it.
Not to mention the mix of the beans there is always variation, using a doserless grinder you face variations in dose as well. It makes sense to have a sip after an adjustment. Personally I refuse to be forced to drink espresso on an hourly plan. As a barista you have way more ways to evaluate the shot, but we can agree on the evaluation by taste is the most important one. I don't see how changing just one parameter interferes with a shops desire to serve the best possible drink.
Dirk
LMWDP #430

Espresso is simple, just not easy.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by emradguy »

dhb wrote:I thing there is a misunderstanding. .

Yes, did seem to be a misunderstanding. perhaps it was the brevity of your post allowing me to read more into what you were saying...or something else? but your longer explanation has me in agreement with you.
LMWDP #748