Poppy Pour Over ( +built in grinder)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

Very beautiful aesthetic, but it might be hard to find a target audience within the dedicated coffee nerd circle. Can't say I'd mind seeing something like that on my counter, but I don't think I'd be willing to pay for what I can already do pretty easily, much cheaper and with greater control.

https://poppyhome.com/pour-over
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

Please allow me a gratuitous eye roll re: the baby formula version (not to mention the pet feeder).
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I wonder if they thought ahead and have engineered a good enough seal to prevent moisture from either hitting the unground coffee in the hopper or affecting the burrs directly. I doubt even a liberal amount of oily coffee ran thru it would protect the burrs from corrosion if they're that close to the heated brew below.

Still, looks pretty.

:mrgreen:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

SpromoSapiens

#4: Post by SpromoSapiens »

Definitely intriguing but leaves a lot of questions. Do the beans in the hopper absorb any heat up there? Does that little ground-coffee chute not make a pile up in the center with shallower edges that get over extracted? Does the center get a stream of water at all? I don't see how it could possibly work. At least not "as the boutique roasters intended" anyway.

Eastsideloco

#5: Post by Eastsideloco »

Right. Heat and moisture are an issue for the beans in the hopper. And I don't see how you can have coffee ground exiting the grinder in a way that is water-vapor proof. And the thermal cycling seems likely to have a detrimental effect on the beans.

But it's a beautifully rendered brewer.

Shife

#6: Post by Shife replying to Eastsideloco »

Breville's YouBrew uses rubber seals and a stainless door to close off the bean hopper and grounds chute. Everything about that machine is brilliant except... the frigging mess created at the stainless door. The amount of cleaning required to keep it functioning correctly made me return it after a week.

The idea of having the machine turn itself on and grind immediately before brewing is attractive, but I haven't seen one yet that actually works. Not to mention it really isn't that much of a big deal to walk into the kitchen and grind the beans/start brewer before I hop in the shower. Perhaps someday a product will save me an extra 2 minutes in the morning, but I doubt this is it.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

The reality is that the quality of the coffee will not fall off enough from grinding the night before or a few hours before (such as when I have to leave really early in the morning but want to make a pot for the family when they wake up) that it warrants the maintenance headache from a combined grind and brew machine.

I might want that dog feeder, though. Needs a built-in web cam.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

kaldi61

#8: Post by kaldi61 »

Very pretty machine and I think that, combined with how it is so connected to the resupply chain through an app will make it appeal to a particular segment of the market. Probably not many of H-Bers, as this group (at least the vocal minority) is largely as hard core as it gets.

Design issues mentioned already are significant - it does look as if the hopper and grinder are directly above, right in the path of steam.

I used to use a Capresso brew-n-grind years ago, and it solved that by putting the grinder lateral to the shower head, and you would cock the filter holder to the left, just under the the grinder. When done grinding, it's automatically released and snaps back to the right, under the shower and over the carafe. Worked quite well. The real problem with these units is that the grinder is so-so (not so terrible for drip), but the shower of an average drip machine can't achieve what an experienced pouroverista can do by controlling the variables of bloom time, where to drip, how much to drip, etc.

Still, it's a pretty copper color and there is the app shtick...if priced right it could sell. Tough market though - in the non-espresso lane my penny jar remains earmarked for a Trifecta.
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."

sashaman

#9: Post by sashaman »

Right now, though, this thing is just vaporware, and these pictures are just renderings. I'd note that the founder is a marketer, not an engineer. While this may very well come to fruition some day (and given that it appears Amazon has reason to push this because it uses its "smart device" API that automatically, for example, orders coffee, formula or dog food when it's low, it might have better chances to succeed than most), I'll wait until it is actually a shipping product, and not just a picture in Photoshop, before getting too excited about it.

weebit_nutty

#10: Post by weebit_nutty »

Looks lovely and I buy it.. I mean the concept. I don't see anything that is impossible in this design.. The steam from the brew is a very simple problem and with many potential solutions to prevent moisture from entering the grinder. As an engineering challenge, it's really not, IMHO.

I don't think I'd actually buy it since I enjoy the manual process too much.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?