Newbie question - Basic setup guide for Artisan

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
AnnieK

#1: Post by AnnieK »

Hello!

First off, I am brand new here so would like to say Thank You in advance to anyone replying to this query, I appreciate it!

Okey dokey; I am a relatively new home roaster, I started on a Hottop last summer and have since have graduated to a small Mill City roaster.

The Mill City came with an internal temp probe, hooked up via a Phidget 1048. I am pretty sure that I have the Phidget hooked up correctly, and have downloaded the driver for it.

Since stepping up to a larger roaster, I am really interested in working on figuring out the story behind my roasts, and how to effectively start tracking my profiles.

However, I am sort of pulling my hair out trying to figure out Artisan!

I am, admittedly, not the savviest computer person that I know, and my tried and true method of simply pushing buttons until something works has not proven successful on this one....my last roast gave my the profile seen below so clearly I have some settings that need some assistance.

I have printed out all the guides I found online for using Artisan, but still am stuck on what I have incorrectly set up on it.

Do any of you guys a) have a good 'Basic' set up guide for using the program/ or b) wouldn't mind if I posted a few more pics of some setting screens I have and help me identify what needs to be changed to make this work!

Thank you!

millcityroasters

#2: Post by millcityroasters »

Hi Annie. I just PM'd you, but I have your email address too.

Your bean temp is working, but the wires are reversed. Swap the 0,G wires and you'll probably be in business.

There's no reason to struggle with this. Call me anytime and I'll walk you through anything that doesn't make sense.

Steve

Advertisement
MaKoMo

#3: Post by MaKoMo replying to millcityroasters »

Thanks Steve for taking this!
Marko

AnnieK (original poster)

#4: Post by AnnieK (original poster) »

Steve- You are very gracious, thanks! I didn't want to overuse my 'help' minutes....

I will switch those and give it a go, if not I will call!

Thanks

AnnieK (original poster)

#5: Post by AnnieK (original poster) »

Indeed the wires were switched, so now temps seem to be registering correctly.

I am still getting some really funky graphs though....

Am I the only one who finds this program a little confusing?

Cheers

akiley

#6: Post by akiley replying to AnnieK »

I just started using Artisan but came from a different roasting app which made it easier. If this is your first time at ANY roasting app, it's going to be a bit of a learning curve. There are some advanced settings in Artisan that I don't understand yet. But I've done four roasts so far and things are falling in line. You have to roast, fix issues, roast again, and eventually it comes together. I played with lots of settings after a roast was complete to see how they effect the graph. Hang in there.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

define funky graphs. You should get something like this.....

Dave Stephens

Advertisement
AnnieK (original poster)

#8: Post by AnnieK (original poster) »

akiley wrote:I just started using Artisan but came from a different roasting app which made it easier. If this is your first time at ANY roasting app, it's going to be a bit of a learning curve. There are some advanced settings in Artisan that I don't understand yet. But I've done four roasts so far and things are falling in line. You have to roast, fix issues, roast again, and eventually it comes together. I played with lots of settings after a roast was complete to see how they effect the graph. Hang in there.
Thanks! Steve at Mill City is being kind enough to talk me through some basic set up today, I have a feeling once I have the configuration settings correct it will be sort of an 'aha' lightbulb moment...and I can stop pulling my hair out!