Temperature Offset On New La Spaziale Vivaldi II

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
woodchuck

#1: Post by woodchuck »

Chris was kind enough to send me a thermofilter to help set the offset on the upgraded Vivaldi II I've been using. Setting the offset was pretty easy. I had guessed at a -1 degree Celsius. It turned out -2 was closer to the actual value. I set up the machine for 93 degrees C. Pulled a warming shot and then ran the final shot just after the temp light had stopped flashing. I read 92.3 with my swag. I then set the offset for a degree larger and ran a quick shot and then pulled a shot at 93. I tried a few more time and ran around 93 to 93.3 Not tooo shabby. There is a temperature ramp to the shot so I've just used the landing temp as the posted temperature. I am headed out for a photo shoot for the next few days but will have more time to post more results next week. I'll try and get a video up as well.

Cheers

Ian

The Thermofilter In Operation

The Front Panel Temp Setting

The Final Result

woodchuck (original poster)

#2: Post by woodchuck (original poster) »

A few more tests before the Scace heads back. I had been pulling shots on my VII with a warming shot and then a delivery shot. As it turns out two shots brings you closer to the temperature floor than one. Typical profiles ran as follows for a 93 degree setpoint and a -2 degree offset. 91.7 first shot, 92.5 second shot, 93.5 third shot. Multiple shots back to back tended to creep up a bit from 93.5 to 93.9 after four shots. But that's more than I would pull on at a typical session and I'm not sure whether or not I could taste a .4 degree Celsius difference. My plan from here on in is to pull a couple of blanks before my drinks. Continued to play with preinfusion. I still like the 3 seconds, it is a bit more forgiving in the look of the pour and a little brighter cup. Chas, who runs the S1 board has found 6 seconds works pretty well with the triple basket.

Cheers

Ian

chasrimpo

#3: Post by chasrimpo »

I concur from my Scace tests that two warming shots are needed to reach equilibrium.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mgwolf »

Would that be 4 oz of water total (2 blanks of 2 oz)?

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

That's a relief, your findings are consistent with mine for the S1, written three years ago without the benefit of a thermofilter. :)
Buyer's Guide to the La Spaziale S1 wrote:I got into the habit of pulling two blank shots at the beginning of the day. The brew boiler recovers very quickly and my results were optimal by following this regime. If you don't dawdle then you may be able skip the second blank shot, but it's borderline.
Dan Kehn

Niko

#6: Post by Niko »

mgwolf wrote:Would that be 4 oz of water total (2 blanks of 2 oz)?
It would be whatever the volumetric dosing is set at for a double (your 2 oz assumption is correct).
That's exactly the same readings I was getting with my Scace last year on my units.
Same here, Ian - Two warming shots brings the group up to the perfect temp :wink:

jmcphail

#7: Post by jmcphail »

A nice thing to do with the VII is to program one of the shot buttons to run 4 oz. It makes it quick and easy to pull a warming shot.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mgwolf »

My double shot is programmed for about 2 oz. This will yield a 2 oz shot with coffee in the shot. But with no coffee in the PF, 4 oz of water will come through. For a warming shot, I hit the double button once and get a 4 oz flush. I presume this is what you meant by a double flush, not hitting the double button twice? Yes? Michael

jmcphail

#9: Post by jmcphail »

I can't speak for Niko, but my flush program is 4 oz. with no coffee in the basket. I program that on the single-shot button. My double-shot button is programmed for a bit under 2 oz., and I get that amount with or without coffee in the basket.

I use the single-shot button for all flushes, wiggles and the like, and use the double-shot button for actual coffee. My intention is to spread the wear on the button mechanisms across both buttons, and to press them as few times as possible in my normal routine.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

I do it a little differently as I use one button set for 2oz for my warming flushes & hit it twice allowing for full recovery between flushes. After a long idle period the temp will drop rapidly during the first flush so you wouldn't get the full warming benefit from a 4 oz flush. I set the other button for 4 oz & always cut the shot manually at the first signs of blonding. Some are long (35sec+) & some normal (25sec) so I prefer to control the length of the pour.
LMWDP 267